I am going to applebees for dinner... advice/support needed

Options
2»

Replies

• VictoriaV87
    VictoriaV87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everyones comments so if Im giving you repeat information I'm sorry. In Eat this Not that the Non-Diet weight loss solution the restaurant it has a chapter on what off their menue other than other items. so for Applebees:Eat the Steak & Grilled Shrimp for 390 cals. 6g sat. fat and 1890mg sodium or the Bruschetta Chicken Sandwitch 530 cals. 3.5 sat. fat., and 1500mg sodium or the Garlic Herb Chicken for 370 cals. 1g sat. fat and 1930mg sodium." Applebee's is one of the last chains that RUFUSES to offer comprehensive nutritional data for thier food". I've stopped going all together.

Hope this information helps...Goodluck : )
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    if you get the veggies be sure to ask them not to put butter on them. Lots of restaurants make the veggies then put so much crap on that you could have just had the french fries! I always verify with the server that it's just plain steamed not buttered or oiled.

Yup, made that mistake the other night :grumble: .
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The garlic chicken, steamed broccoli and red potatoes is delish and under 400 calories! :drinker:
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    their 550 or less steak w/ shrimp and steamed brocolli is awesome!! plus its good for you..
    Agree!
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had this meal last night. It was pretty good. Avoid appetizers and dessert. The veggies were good that came with it.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had this meal last night. It was pretty good. Avoid appetizers and dessert. The veggies were good that came with it.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    so many good choices at applebees!!! i had their cajun tilapia on tuesday and it was delicious!! really low in calories and pretty filling too! also, their potato & steak salad is really good. their chicken paradise salad is awesome too! i don't think i've tried one of their low calorie meals that wasn't surprisingly tasty!
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options
    There is a tilapia with veggies and rice its got a spicy kick to it that is awesome, n the tilapia is huge the meal is barely 400 calories its one of the weight watcher meals!!1

this is what i ate on tuesday! it was really, really good!
  • heyitsmekatie
    Options
    if you get the veggies be sure to ask them not to put butter on them. Lots of restaurants make the veggies then put so much crap on that you could have just had the french fries! I always verify with the server that it's just plain steamed not buttered or oiled.

Yup, made that mistake the other night :grumble: .

plus, i think the "butter" they use tastes like crap!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a great deal for work so that meant many dinners with clients at their choice of restaurant. Believe it or not, back in those days I had no weight problems!

What I would always do was to order a salad first and eat ALL of it (dressing on the side). Honestly, after eating that many greens, I didn't have much room for whatever entree I ordered!

But when the entree came, again, I ate the veggies first, every time.

For me, the huge amount of greens and veggies made it literally impossible for me to do much damage with any entree choice at all! I was just too full to have more than a few bites of the entrees, and when you're staying in a hotel, there's no 'doggie bag'. ;)

Also, as I was eating, heartily, no one gave me any grief at the meals.
  • dexter62
    dexter62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    we went last week for my b day, did you know that the manager has a book that you can use to look at the calorie count of every meal they serve, not just the 550 s, stay away from the spinach and artichoke dip, its around 1400 just for the appetizer, good luck Dave
  • tyhansen
    Options
    The garlic chicken, steamed broccoli and red potatoes is delish and under 400 calories! :drinker:

I have this every time I go there!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    no appebees around me..so im lucky :D
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the chicken and portobello sandwich, or the chicken and portobello plate.

My best advice is to pick something on the weight watchers or 550 menu and replace any potato or fry side with their seasoned vegetables or fresh fruit. Good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i always get whatever i want but only eat half. :) i love having a meal the next day! the idea of ordering a salad and eating the veggies first is a great one too. my FAVORITE thing there is the oriental chicken salad (grilled). it is f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s! the shrimp and spinach salad is super tasty too.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eat home.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    OP here.

I had the steak/shrimp 550 deal and was not impressed. My steak was AWFUL. The meat tasted terrible and the seared parts tasted funky, like they were cooked on a rancid grill. :/

I ended up taking three bites, eating the rest, skipping the potatoes. For $12+, I won't be tempted there again.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is little or nothing on their menu that isn't loaded with sodium. Most of the 550 or under calorie meals are over a 1000 mg of sodium. Make sure you do your research on their website. It has every meal your local Applebees serves and the breakdown of the nutrition. The average person should be under 2500 mg for the whole day. If you have issue with salt (health issue) then more than likely that has been reduced to under 1500 mg per day by a doctor.