Just old or doing too much?

Options
Hey all. I've been sticking to this, throwing in my extra exercise in the evening, if I go over my calories.
Not mega-dosing on exercise, trying to take it easy... but every morning I am waking up with the hunchback of Notre Dame syndrome. It takes me about 1/2 hour of walking around the house, and doing some stretches before I hear the crick of my back pop, and then I can straighten out. Everything aches most of the day... any ideas? I'm wondering if our new elliptical is impacting my body the wrong way.
Hubby says to lay off the exercise today and just go for a long walk instead.

Replies

• redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I've been sticking to this, throwing in my extra exercise in the evening, if I go over my calories.
    Not mega-dosing on exercise, trying to take it easy... but every morning I am waking up with the hunchback of Notre Dame syndrome. It takes me about 1/2 hour of walking around the house, and doing some stretches before I hear the crick of my back pop, and then I can straighten out. Everything aches most of the day... any ideas? I'm wondering if our new elliptical is impacting my body the wrong way.
    Hubby says to lay off the exercise today and just go for a long walk instead.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    :frown: It certainly could be from the elliptical. Could you be twisting or straining in a way your body is not accustomed to or maybe not good for you. That would be my first thought. I would also mayke sure that any tension is turned down completely till you build that stregnth up.

Hubby has a good point if you have strained something it would be a good idea to let it relax for a day or so and see how it is tomorrow.

Eve
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before or after exercising? It does help. I wasn't stretching when I first started and was sore afterward, once I started stretching I could realy feel the difference.

Other than that I would stick to your brisk walks, or go easier on your exercises until they are too easy then increase, and see how you feel the day after. I'm no expert, just a few ideas.

Hope that helps a little.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Hubby has a point. I do one easy day a week - yoga with a 30 minute easy walk - easy for me anyway, since I've been doing yoga for 8 years.
    Speaking of yoga, something like yoga, tai chi, or pilates should help, or just a really long stretching session with a few balance moves.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's very important to warm up and stretch before you start working too hard, then make sure you stretch afterwards as well. I don't know how old you are, but I'm in my late 40's, and I find that I have to stretch more now then ever if I don't want any injuries. You also need to make sure that you have enough recuperation time before the next workout, make sure that you get enough rest. It's easy to overwork our bodies.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If everything aches most of the day, every day, then I'd guess you are over doing it.

Aside from the importance of stretching that has been covered here, I'd suggest taking a day off every 2 or 3 days. IMHO, your body is telling you something. (I'm a big believer that our bodies tell us what we need to know.) It sounds like your muscles are not having enough time to repair. I try to take lots of vitamin B & C and get lots of sleep. Sleep is very important.

That said, you mention your back in particular. If you Google 'Back Stretches' there are lots of results that may provide some additional stretching exercises that you may want to include.

If I had to make a choice between slower weight loss and constant pain, my choice would be easy.

Finally, the recommended calories are not gospel. Maybe you need a few more than you permit yourself. I've been playing with mine a bit and I seem to actually lose faster when I go over and I've already upped them from what I started with. The 'lifestyle description' I use now is a more active description than I'd give myself credit for on a regular basis.

Point is, nothing is perfect for everyone. Guaranteed. Use your good sense and make small adjustments to your diet (more protien?), exercise regimens, calories etc.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better soon.

p.s. You don't look 'old'! :wink:
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks! for the not old comment..woo hoo! And for all the good advice!
    Listen to my body and take it easier for a day or two - sounds good to me. I have been stretching before exercise, but not after -so more stretches! I tried Pilates last night.
    And I'll lay off the elliptical for a week, and see if I see any improvements as well. Again, thanks guys and gals!! :bigsmile:
  • srwings
    srwings Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually, you look pretty young. A good chiropractor can do wonders.
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    Redalee,
    When I read the thread title I thought you were talking about me ha-ha. Listen to your body! It is telling you that you are doing something wrong and it wants you to stop. It will stop you in some bad way if you don't do it voluntarily. You can stop everything all at once rest a few days until the pain goes away and then start adding things back in until you figure out which thing is causing it.

Stretching should be done after the muscles are warm. Just start your work out nice and slow then build up as you feel like it. When you are done do some stretching after your heart rate settles down and before your body temp cools down. Yogis have this right. They warm up with sun saluatations and then stretch and strengthen.

Yoga saved me from having my lower back fused. My three buldging discs don't bother me much anymore.