Hi there! Down 40 lbs, 40 more to go!

Options
Give or take a few on both ends! I've been using the site to track food for over a month now, and I like reading the boards here. I figured at some point I should jump in and introduce myself.

My name is Leigh - I'm 37, and have been carrying around this extra weight since my kids were born. I actually lost all the "baby" weight after my youngest was born (doing Body for Life), so I can't blame anyone but myself for packing on the pounds. My weight was fairly stable around 180 for years, but then I started working from home and added another 40 lbs in about 4-5 years. Like most people, I've tried (insert program here), and did great for a week or a month, then gave up.

Something finally clicked last November. Not sure what finally motivated me - a new job surrounded by women who are all at a healthy weight, an upcoming "big" birthday, a sales meeting involving a cocktail dress, a ski trip for my husband's birthday. I guess probably a combination of all of the above, and the never ending desire to be happy when I look in the mirror again.

I joined our local Crossfit gym and started eating Paleo(ish) in November, and since then have lost over 40 lbs. It hasn't been easy, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've completely changed my relationship with food - eating low carb has been key for me. I don't have any desire to have sweets or bread, and before it was all I could think about. I'm not constantly hungry and thinking about food anymore. Now, food is simply fuel. Of course, I still love finding new recipes, but I stick to meat and veggies, fruits and nuts. I eat very few processed foods (can't give up Cardini's Caesar dressing or Spark) and I think that has helped immensely - I'm full on real food now.

Biggest NSV so far - making it through Girl Scout cookie season (I'm a leader, and my daughter is a GS), and eating only ONE Thin Mint - not one box, one cookie!! Normally, I'd have eaten my way through several boxes. This year - they didn't really tempt me at all. Just had the one and was done. I'm still amazed just typing that!

Looking forward to getting to know new friends here! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!!
  • msmeld090573
    Options
    Hi, Leigh! My name is Melanie, and I just started using this site today. We've started a support group at work, and our health educator ran across this site and thought it would be an awesome tool.
    Congrats on the 40lbs you've lost so far, and best wishes on reaching your goal!
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wowwie girl! Just having a box of Thin Mints on the premises is dangerous for me. I am SOOOOO PROUD of you!!! You are doing it! You realize that YOU are more important than instant gratification (i.e. Thin Mints). With an attitude like that, those other 40lbs will be falling off in NO TIME! Woooohooo!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wowwie girl! Just having a box of Thin Mints on the premises is dangerous for me. I am SOOOOO PROUD of you!!! You are doing it! You realize that YOU are more important than instant gratification (i.e. Thin Mints). With an attitude like that, those other 40lbs will be falling off in NO TIME! Woooohooo!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Ha! And to think we had 300 boxes in our house during the sale - dangerous indeed! Of course in past years I think I ate enough GS cookies to last a lifetime!

Thanks for the kudos everyone! :smile: