Heart Rate Question

Options
My resting HR is around 80-90bpm. I have pretty low BP usually 100/70. When I workout my HR skyrockets! My normal HR for moderate cardio is between 160-170bpm. When I do sprint intervals its close to 200bpm. It doesn't bother me I can still talk and carry on a conversation. I try to keep it between 150-170bpm during cardio.

I just want to make sure that's ok? I figured since it doesn't bother me it must be "just what my heart does" . When I get closer to a healthy weight for my height it goes down a little. I'm 5'1 and around 160lbs trying to lose 20 more lbs. I've already lost 60lbs.

Thoughts? It really bothers my husband that my HR gets so high.

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but I do a Body Attack (intense cardio) class four times a week (and have been for over a year now), and my heart rate STILL gets to be between 175 and 184 during the class...And I'm not meaning to brag, but I'm in pretty good shape....

So I'd say as long as you don't FEEL ill, or faint, and can still carry on a conversation, you should be okay....Definitely keep an eye on it, though!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you can bring it up to a doctor to ease your husband's mind. wouldn't hurt. Mine was really high when I first started working out and I've actually been doing lower intensity work outs so that I can learn/train my body to keep the heart rate lower - you burn more calories lower, your endurance goes forever when it's lower and you just get more done. I have to really work at relaxing and breathing, but now I've got it down more often than not ---- makes a huge difference. I could barely run 1/4 mile before because I would just get exhausted so quick --- Last weekend I kept it down and jogged 6 miles and was having a nice conversation while doing it.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing! My HR skyrockets and usually hovers around 175-185 for the entirety of my workouts. If I notice it creeping up really high I try to lower the intensity a little bit so It's not staying elevated for long periods of time. I normally feel good as well and can carry on conversations at this HR (just like you've mentioned) so maybe it's a genetic thing (the previous poster is my sister btw & we both have high HR's while exercising)
  • libbyg07
    Options
    My HR is about 160-170 during intense cardio, and I've been told by my trainer that it's normal for a person in her 20s to have it that high. 80-90BPM resting is kind of high, but I know from experience that goes down with weight loss (when I was overweight mine too was that high - it stays around 50-70 now).

Your heart rate needs to stay at 80-90% max during cardio to really be an effective exercise according to most trainers I've met, so you're probably doing just fine.

Here's a target heart rate calculator online that I found: http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm. They also list it on cardio equipment at most gyms in a less sophisticated way.

Keep up the good work!

Libby
  • Purple420
    Options
    How old are you? Your predicted max HR is approx 220-age .. for best results you want to be within 85% of your predicted max. For example i am 24 so my max HR is 196... 85% of that would be 166. Even if you get up to your absolute max you should be fine!. The talk test is a good way of judging if you are exercising at a good intensity.
  • Purple420
    Options
    p.s. I am in school to be a certified PT and this info came right from my studies! :)
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi - My resting heart rate is somewhere between 90 - 120 which is not good. It really can't hurt to go to the doctor about this - a cardiologist would be the for the heart. You can also just make an appt with yr primary care doctor and see what they say. I have other medical issues and take many meds. I see my cardiologist next wk and I believe he will raise my meds after he does testing in his office. Your husband's concerns are because he loves and cares about you so why not see a doctor and it will put you both at ease.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with Liscar's approach. If you reach 200 bpm during interval training then you probably push yourself too hard. It is actually quite possible and quite effective to take it easy on the cardio machines.

Anyway, better see a professional medic. That's better than us unqualified lot ;)