One problem - One word ........ SODIUM!

Options
I have a major problem & it consists of only 1 word: SODIUM! UGH! I hate sodium. Just hearing the word makes me quiver. Since MFP, I've been watching my calorie & fat intake but just recently, I started paying attention to my sodium intake. Most of all of my low fat & low calorie foods, are extremely high in sodium. It's NO wonder I can't seem to lose but 1 pound every 2 weeks. I am going grocery shopping 2morrow & I would really LOVE it if I can get some feedback from as many of you as possible, as to what I should buy. I'd appreciate any kind of feedback! Thanks! :)

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Foods that are high in sodium are packaged breads, english muffins, cheese, bacon, lunch meats to name a new...also watch the condiments like pickles, mustard and ketchup...stay away from canned veggies and soups as well
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just start trying to eat regular or "whole" foods. I've heard many people say dont buy the "diet" versions of anything, even though they are fewer calories. I personally dont mind going over in sodium because I don't have heart issues or kidney/liver issues, but when I do I usualy always double up on water. Water helps flush the excess out so I can still feel good if I accidentally eat too much salt.
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    I had the same issue and realized that I really just had to stay away from the processed foods - even lean cuisine or weight watcher products. I also use a lot of the "I can't belive its not butter!" spray butter to add flavor instead of salt or oils. Good luck! Its a tough obstacle to overcome and I too despise the word!!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash makes some really good sodium-free seasonings too. I love the garlic and herb one!
  • for_a_mittengrl
    for_a_mittengrl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and barley! Couple it with something else if you have to, but neither has any sodium and they both keep you feeling full for longer! :)
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The problem with "diet foods" is that they aren't really diet foods. They are still highly processed foods with sugar, sodium, etc. that your body does not need. Buy lots of fruits, veggies, unprocessed foods. I love oatmeal and used to eat the quaker oats express (golden brown sugar) for breakfast, but now I use the quaker quick oats in the big container (sodium free!) and add fresh fruits for flavor--bananas or blueberries are my favorite. I've also changed to all natural peanut butter, all natural fruit preserves (with no sugar--just fruit). I've found myself paying much more attention to the labels on foods! Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. And one thing I found was that Progresso makes a Heart Healthy version of their soups that offers a lower sodium content. Mostly, I stay away from canned and pre-packaged. I usually make a batch of soup over the weekend and then throw it in individual sized tupperwares if I want soup (but I do have some of the canned stuff for those just in case days!)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my weakness & #1 Enemy. This has been what I have been eliminatin' from my diet since January 2011

Diet: Strict diet - NO Alcohol, No weed, No fastfood (not even Subway), No junkfood, No processed foods (Only produce & lean meats), No table salt, No sugar, No coffee, No milk, No pop, No fruit juices, No butter, No sauces...(THIS WORKS FOR ME)

I have that all posted on my profile. It has worked for me. Processed/frozen/packaged foods are the worse in Sodium.

Try drinkin' hot green tea with each meal. Drink 8+ water per day.

Best wishes darlin'...! xo :smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple: Eat as much of your food as close to its original form as possible. Processing almost always adds sodium. As has been pointed out, low-fat/diet versions of foods typically have added salt/sugar to make up for it...

Avoid as much processed food as possible - shop the outside edges of the store. Most of your food should be prepared at home, and be fresh veggies/fruit, meat that hasn't been pre-seasoned/cooked, healthy carbs like potatoes, beans, quinoa, lentils, barley, etc, and healthy fats like raw almonds (or any nuts), olive oil, etc.. Dairy is typically high in sodium, but if the rest of your foods are low in sodium, you can afford a few higher-sodium items each day.

When I do buy canned/processed foods, I always look for no-salt-added or low-sodium versions. Ex - I don't want to spend the time to cook my own beans, so I buy only the no-salt-added brand in a can. You can also rinse your beans very well to get rid of some of the sodium they add. I buy breads with lower sodium, no-salt added peanut butter, lower-sodium canned tuna, the lowest sodium cottage cheese I can find, etc.

I haven't been great lately as I've been too lax overall, but when I stick to my diet I easily stay under 2000mg/day, often under 1500. You can look at my food diary for today for a good example.

Edited to add: I quit adding salt to anything I cook. I really don't miss it. Even when the recipe calls for salt, it doesn't seem to make a difference when I leave it out... you get used to a lower-sodium diet over time. It helps to replace salt with no-sodium seasonings like lemon pepper, black pepper, mrs. dash, etc.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    looking at labels help a lot. and when you go shoping look for defferent herbs and spices to use as alternatives when cooking. and going fresh is always better.
  • p_nutprincess
    p_nutprincess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Shop only on the outer part of the grocery store! This is pretty much just fresh produce, meats, dairy, eggs etc. Don't but anything that's not in its natural state - and stay away from anything canned or frozen, unless it's sodium free. It's tough, but it's worth it!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I skimmed through these but I don't think anyone mentioned things like frozen veggies, rice, pasta's ALL very low to almost none in sodium. I don't have time for all fresh all the time but I NEVER buy canned anything anymore or like Trent said above if I must I try to go for lowest sodium possible. Hard to do when it comes to canned food.
    I never add salt to anything but use lots of other seasonings for flavor. Mortons makes a salt substitute with no sodium and a Lite version also. The .99 cents only store has a ton of seasonings they have one called No Salt its basically Mrs. Dash.
    Labels labels labels! No such thing as quick grocery shopping trip, when your eating healthy. After a while you know but still always a good idea toread labels! Just when you think oh that should be fine and eat something you'll go back and look later and :noway: full of the evil sodium!
    Good Luck!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I saw this website today looking for low sodium lunch meat because mine is high!
    http://www.lowsaltfoods.com
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the WONDERFUL advice. I will make me a list of the foods that many of you have suggested. I'll also check all of the food labels before putting anything in the buggie. Which means, I will make sure to go shopping while my kids are in school. :happy: