master cleanse

Options
hey everyone,
i have tried the master cleanse in the past but halve never been able to complete the full 10 days because i felt slightly weak. i wanted to know if any one else tried it and how did you get through it?

Replies

• ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    same.. i couldn't make it.. I often think about trying again but I don't know if I have the will power.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The "master cleanse" is a crock. Your body cleanses itself with the liver, kidneys and digestive system. If you eat enough fiber and drink enough water and are generally healthy (no failing organs or anything) then you don't need any "cleanses". You CANNOT get adequate nutrition on this cleanse. You get all your calories from SUGAR, which is not healthy. You need protein (they're not called "essential" amino acids for nothing) and healthy fats to function properly. You need other carbohydrate sources besides plain sugar (the maple syrup).

Please, do yourself a favor and don't bother anymore with this cleanse. It's not healthy. There's a reason you're feeling weak - your body is telling you it's not a good idea.
  • soniajessica
    Options
    what's the master cleanse? is that something i can find on here?
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Its bad for you! The fact that it made you feel weak should be a sign that it is not a good thing to do
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    The "master cleanse" is a crock. Your body cleanses itself with the liver, kidneys and digestive system. If you eat enough fiber and drink enough water and are generally healthy (no failing organs or anything) then you don't need any "cleanses". You CANNOT get adequate nutrition on this cleanse. You get all your calories from SUGAR, which is not healthy. You need protein (they're not called "essential" amino acids for nothing) and healthy fats to function properly. You need other carbohydrate sources besides plain sugar (the maple syrup).

Please, do yourself a favor and don't bother anymore with this cleanse. It's not healthy. There's a reason you're feeling weak - your body is telling you it's not a good idea.

what they said =]
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    hey everyone,
    i have tried the master cleanse in the past but halve never been able to complete the full 10 days because i felt slightly weak. i wanted to know if any one else tried it and how did you get through it?

Maybe you felt weak because the organs in your body were starving. Maybe they were trying to tell you it wasn't a great idea. Most people that have done this cleanse have gained the weight back. Beyonce did it for Dreamgirls and gained the weight back.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options

totally agree!

Our bodies do it just fine IF you are eating correctly and not eating junk food and processed foods --- so eat more natural foods and your body will cleanse itself. Best Grocery store advice I've ever heard ---- shop around the perimeter of the store and don't go down the aisles :) what's on the perimeter.....fruit, vegetables, meats, diary hmmmm

on a silly note....ever eat two Fiber One products at once? That's a body cleanse baby!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i was only asking becaus e though i was only on it for 3 days i lost about 7 pounds. i have also had other friends who have done the 40 day plan and loved the results and felt fine.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    i was only asking becaus e though i was only on it for 3 days i lost about 7 pounds. i have also had other friends who have done the 40 day plan and loved the results and felt fine.

Whether they felt "fine" or not, this is NOT healthy for you. Certainly not for 40 days! Eat healthy foods - lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, etc. (as little processed as possible), drink enough water and eat enough fiber, and that's all the "cleanse" you need. Seriously. Let your body do its job. It's not healthy to try to lose weight very quickly - slow and steady is best. Not only will you be more likely to keep it off, but you'll be more likely to avoid some of the side-effects of quick weight loss, which can include things like gallbladder problems!

Fads/gimmicks like this cleanse are unnecessary and unhealthy. Anything promising quick, easy weight loss is too good to be true. Health should be your main focus, only part of which is weight loss.
  • simplywriting
    Options
    Just thought I'd let you know, my mother did this several years ago... she got really sick from it and wound up in the hospital. Your body needs much more than sugar to thrive and survive and if you are trying to be healthy, it is not healthy to starve your body of the things it actually needs.
    I am not a fan of the cleansing diets, but if you want to do your own type of cleanse, increase your raw, fresh vegetables for a few weeks and make sure you have a source of protein. Cut your sugar way back and increase any fiber or protein rich foods, all while calorie counting. Drink TONS of water and I promise, in a few weeks, your body will be totally detoxed and cleansed of the stuff you are trying to remove.
    Plus at least you can eat and you won't feel weak. Become Vegetarian for a week and make a fresh fruit smoothie for breakfast and add protein powder. There ya go ... healthy way to cleanse, and again you get to eat and you don't feel weak.

Please don't do this... I would hate to hear of anyone else getting really sick from this.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I do this regularly. You will feel tired and weak because you are not consuming what you need to in order to go about your normal routine. While cleansing you should be resting. In other words, I don't do it unless I have the time off. Period. You can do it for just the weekend, especially if you are new to it. But if you are doing it just to lose weight, you will be disappointed. It is NOT A DIET!

As far as it being unhealthy, etc. This is a debate that has been beaten to death on this site. Its not even worth arguing. I made my decisions to keep this as a part of my routine based on my own research and experience. And my colon surgeon who was certain I would need surgery in less than 5 years shook my hand and said keep on doin what you are doing.

It is not necessary to fast completely during the Matster Cleanse. If just the drink isn't enough you can eat fresh fruit and veggies. Personally, I enjoy the drink. I even use it the morning after drinking. (which isn't often) It does have about 100 cals depending on how much syrup you use, plus the syrup is chock full of vitamins and minerals. The cayenne pepper is a great phlegm fixer!

Just my 2 cents.