What is considered "uphill"?

Options
When logging on MFP for "walking @ 3.5 uphill", what is considered "uphill"? My treadmill only goes up to 10, so what incline would be considered uphill?

Replies

• jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump: I'm curious to know the answer to that as well.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    If you pour water on the ground and it runs one direction,,,,, the other direction is up hill. :smile:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you pour water on the ground and it runs one direction,,,,, the other direction is up hill. :smile:
    :laugh:
  • mommy23skllm
    Options
    lol, true :wink:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    in that case, walking from my livingroom to my kitchen is uphill! LOL! Gotta love older houses! :laugh:
  • mommy23skllm
    Options
    Anyone else? I'm just not sure if I should log uphill or just log walking 3.5.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would like to know an answer to this also- my treadmill is a manual change incline 3 different levels- does it have to be all the way down to count as uphill or slight incline counts?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I walk at 8-11% incline and I don't log it as uphill.
  • Jackie81p
    Jackie81p Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read uphill on a treadmill would an incline of 4 or higher. Hope that helps.
  • Danielkraus
    Options
    Does anyone else know what is cond=sidered "uphill" for a tredmill setting?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

This. Uphill doesn't mean steep it means an incline.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    With all due respect I think you are making this much harder than it really is. Uphill means incline, not steep. I completely agree with the poster that said that. Furthermore, the answer is going to be different for different people. And should be reevaluated monthly. What seems difficult in the beginning gets easier. Maybe after a month you can step up the incline, speed, or duration. For an average user I would think 4 is uphill. (1-3= little or no incline, 4-7 uphill, 8-10 steep incline) But keep in mind that for someone new to exercising and very obese or someone rehabing an injury that 2 or 3 is uphill for them. Yet it is comparable to when I jog outside on uneven terrain and I dont consider it uphill even though there are ups and downs. If it feels uphill to YOU, it's uphill.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options

This. Uphill doesn't mean steep it means an incline.

Ding , Ding... Winner !
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

agree with this
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    WdzhT.jpg

That's usually my uphill.
  • jencjeffery
    jencjeffery Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    With all due respect I think you are making this much harder than it really is. Uphill means incline, not steep. I completely agree with the poster that said that. Furthermore, the answer is going to be different for different people. And should be reevaluated monthly. What seems difficult in the beginning gets easier. Maybe after a month you can step up the incline, speed, or duration. For an average user I would think 4 is uphill. (1-3= little or no incline, 4-7 uphill, 8-10 steep incline) But keep in mind that for someone new to exercising and very obese or someone rehabing an injury that 2 or 3 is uphill for them. Yet it is comparable to when I jog outside on uneven terrain and I dont consider it uphill even though there are ups and downs. If it feels uphill to YOU, it's uphill.

I agree
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    WdzhT.jpg

That's usually my uphill.
    What are you doing in my backyard?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    What are you doing in my backyard?

You need to put up some more visible 'private property' signs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here is a definition of uphill to help you:

Adverb
    In an ascending direction up a hill or slope: "follow the track uphill".

Adjective
    Sloping upward; ascending.

Noun
    An upward slope.

So, if you are running at an incline or upward slope...or as another MFPer said beautifully "If you pour water on the ground and it runs one direction,,,,, the other direction is up hill. :smile:" .... than...you are walking uphill.

If you put your treadmill at an incline, than you are going uphill.

I would suggest investing in an HRM if you are that concerned about accuracy. Not saying it would be completely accurate, but it might ease your mind about logging exercise a bit.