At it Again

ddrobins1956
ddrobins1956 Posts: 36
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm at this again and sure could use some encouragement and help with willpower. I've been battling my weight most of my life. I managed to keep my weight pretty much under control in my 30's and 40's, but now I find myself 55 yrs old and very overweight and also with severe arthritis in my knees and right hip. Lately, I've been very afraid that I may get to the point where I will be unable to walk. I desparately need to lose weight for the sake of my knees. I may very well need a knee replacement in the coming year and will be denied, I'm sure, due to my weight.
please share with me some of your stories and tips to living a healthy life style.
Other than my weight, I have a wonderful life. My husband and I are retired and living the Snowbird life in sunny Florida this winter. I have 3 children, two step children and ten darling gr. children. I'm blessed with many wonderful friends that also share my love of quilting and sewing. Life is very good and I want that to last. I need to do this and I will do this. With God's help and those of you who are also sharing my battle.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• I can soooo relate! I have been batteling my weight most of my life and it's a constant struggle. But I have found a few things that help me out. First off I pray, don't know if you're a praying woman but it sure helps me out a lot! I remind myself that God loves me just the way I am but that He can also help me get through the trying times. Secondly, I eat pretty much what I want, I just don't allow myself to get full. If you can train your self to stop eating when the feeling of hunger is gone but not yet feeling full, it cuts a lot of calories. For me eating out of boredom and emotional eating are a huge problem, so I try to occupy my time some other way (cleaning, re-arranging furniture, taking the dog for a walk) and drinking a big glass of water before I decide to put anything else in my mouth helps too.

Also, I've come to accept the fact that I may never be a size 6 and that's ok, I'm a Juicy Girl with hips and thighs, my goal is to be healthy and mobile well into my later years!

I do hope this helps!

B~Blessed!
  • Thanks you for your reply. I'm surprised that someone responded so quickly. I am a praying woman and surely need God's help with this undertaking. Today is my first day and I pretty much ate a normal days food and even went out to lunch with two of my girl friends. According to the food tracker, I was only 43 calories over my alotment for the day. My problem is that I don't get enough exercise, and one of my goals is to ride my bike for a mile, 3 times a week. I figure that's a start.
    Most of my hobbies are done while sitting. Quilting, sewing, knitting, reading, etc. I've never been very good about working up a sweat. Although, I do love to garden and go flea marketing.
    I'm also an emotional eater and comfort myself that way whenever there is a problem. My goal is to substitue gaining comfort from prayer and service to others. I make quilts for foster children and chemo caps and dew rags for the American Cancer society. It's hard to eat while sewing.
    I'm also going to reward myself with fabric. I figure every poung lost should be worth a fat quarter, that's 1/4 yd of fabric.
    I'm used to having a snack at night. What do you have?
This discussion has been closed.