Swimming Calories

Options
I expected to only lose 1 lb this week and again lost 3. I wonder if I am logging my swimming wrong. We typically swim between 3000 and 4000 yards a night. I have been logging 60 minutes for 3000, 65 minutes for 3500 and 70 minutes for 4000. It generally takes longer for those distances, but since it is interval training, there is always a little rest between reps. Should I be logging the actual clock time for the entire duration of the workout?

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    do it with a hrm once
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I'd continue what you are doing. If it ain't broke...
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use 100 calories per 400meters as a proxy with my athletes. There can be a lot of admin time at swim practice between chatting and rest intervals at the wall.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    When I swam competitively, I was told by University of Texas swim trainers that I burned about 1600 calories in a vigorous 2 hour workout. At the time I was loaded with muscles and very little fat. (That was about 8000 yards in those workouts.)

I think the calorie estimates on MFP for swimming are pretty low for people who swim rather efficiently. That being said, way to go on all of your swimming!