'Zig-zag" dieting

Options
Ok, I've said this before on a post about zig-zag dieting but I saw the idea had been resurrected recently so thought I would throw this out there again.

Here's my thoughts on zig-zag dieting--it works.

BUT--AND PLEASE NOTE THIS--YOU CAN DO ZIG-ZAG DIETING BY USING MFP!

The idea behind zig-zag dieting is to constantly change your caloric intake to keep your body guessing, so your metabolism doesn't settle into a pattern.

NOW--you don't need to go below 1200 calories a day to do this, nor do you need to figure out your own plan!

USE MFP!

I realized recently that I've basically been zig-zag on my calories because of how MFP sets up our calories every day by encouraging us to eat our exercise calories.

So you can do zig-zag by simply following MFP guidelines and varying your exercise routine!

For example----check out my exercise calories for this past week:

Friday--1501 calories burned
Saturday--731 calories burned
Sunday--didn't exercise
Monday--1389 calories burned
Tuesday--didn't exercise
Wednesday--920 calories burned
Thursday--1425 calories burned
Friday (today)--no exercise

See how I altered my routine and burned up differing amounts each day, with a day off with no exercise every few days?

On the days I don't exercise, I keep religiously to 1200 calories. And I mean religiously--cut back on carbs those days too, and REALLY watch the sodium intake!

On days I do exercise, I eat at least 80 percent of my exercise calories if not all of them! (Believe me, after a 30 mile bike ride, I could eat a horse!).

Anyway, I've been basically zig-zagging, using MFP, and doing it very healthy because of following MFP guidelines.

My caloric intake has varied from 1200 calories a day to 2400/2500 or even 2600 calories a day over the last week!

It has worked for me--42 pounds so far.

I lose steady with an occasional large overnight drop, when I think my body catches up to my exercise! Almost always, those large drops are after a long ride, like this morning. Yesterday, I rode 34 miles--this morning, I weighed and had dropped 2 pounds overnight.

So yes, I thing zig-zag works BUT YOU CAN DO IT HEALTHY AND YOU CAN DO IT USING MFP!

Easy, fun, and no guesswork!

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've said this before on a post about zig-zag dieting but I saw the idea had been resurrected recently so thought I would throw this out there again.

Here's my thoughts on zig-zag dieting--it works.

BUT--AND PLEASE NOTE THIS--YOU CAN DO ZIG-ZAG DIETING BY USING MFP!

The idea behind zig-zag dieting is to constantly change your caloric intake to keep your body guessing, so your metabolism doesn't settle into a pattern.

NOW--you don't need to go below 1200 calories a day to do this, nor do you need to figure out your own plan!

USE MFP!

I realized recently that I've basically been zig-zag on my calories because of how MFP sets up our calories every day by encouraging us to eat our exercise calories.

So you can do zig-zag by simply following MFP guidelines and varying your exercise routine!

For example----check out my exercise calories for this past week:

Friday--1501 calories burned
    Saturday--731 calories burned
    Sunday--didn't exercise
    Monday--1389 calories burned
    Tuesday--didn't exercise
    Wednesday--920 calories burned
    Thursday--1425 calories burned
    Friday (today)--no exercise

See how I altered my routine and burned up differing amounts each day, with a day off with no exercise every few days?

On the days I don't exercise, I keep religiously to 1200 calories. And I mean religiously--cut back on carbs those days too, and REALLY watch the sodium intake!

On days I do exercise, I eat at least 80 percent of my exercise calories if not all of them! (Believe me, after a 30 mile bike ride, I could eat a horse!).

Anyway, I've been basically zig-zagging, using MFP, and doing it very healthy because of following MFP guidelines.

My caloric intake has varied from 1200 calories a day to 2400/2500 or even 2600 calories a day over the last week!

It has worked for me--42 pounds so far.

I lose steady with an occasional large overnight drop, when I think my body catches up to my exercise! Almost always, those large drops are after a long ride, like this morning. Yesterday, I rode 34 miles--this morning, I weighed and had dropped 2 pounds overnight.

So yes, I thing zig-zag works BUT YOU CAN DO IT HEALTHY AND YOU CAN DO IT USING MFP!

Easy, fun, and no guesswork!
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks.. I'll try that!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I need to add that not everyone should be eating as "few" as 1200 calories a day! As has been said on here many times, 1200 calories a day is a fairly large reduction in needed calories and only a small percentage of people trying to lose weight--those who have a lot to lose (like me)--should cut back to 1200 calories!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64

Zig-Zag calculator...

There are two options on this website's calculator. If you select the "simple" option, his is less fluctuating in calories for a week. The "complex" option has more extremes with higher and lower days.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I like your plan shorerider. I had set up a plan for myself and I couldn't stick to it. For me eating 1800 calories one day and then eating only 1200 the next day meant I was constantly either stuffed or starving! lol So exercising to mix things up is definately a better way to go for me :) Good post! :flowerforyou:
    Lauren