Fear of gaining weight back!

Options
Hi all,

So this is the start of my second week using mfp and I've lost 6 lbs so far which I feel good about. I have this HUGE fear that I will gain all this weight back eventually, especially because I'm losing it fast. I mark down my weight every other day because within two days I will gain 1 or .5 lbs and then by the day after lose 1 or 1.5 lbs.

Does anyone else feel nervous??

How do I insure that I don't gain it back?

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You will gain weiht if you eat too many calories. You are monitoring your calories to lose. You will have to do te same thing to prevent gaining weight. And cardio. 30 minutes at least 3 times a week will help keep weight from returning. If you see your weight begin to creep back on, it;s time to cut back a bit!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The first week, you lose a good amount of weight. With MFP, you're watching what you eat and your workouts. Stick to it, and you won't gain the weight back.
  • fiercegoddess
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day. That's why you seem to gain a pound one day and lose it the next. Having an official weigh in once a week is cool because over time you will see a trend (hopefully a downward one). The first week you are on a program you tend to lose a big chunk of weight. Much of it is water weight and after that things slow down (1 to 2 lbs per week is a good goal). The best way not to gain is to eat right, stay within your calorie goals and exercise. Losing weight is a challenge but it's not as bad as it can seem at times.
  • brianboles
    brianboles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    STAY THE COURSE!!!!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Make sure what you are doing is a life style change. If you go back to old unhealthy habbits of course the weight will creep back on. If you are keeping track of your calories and workig out the weight will stay off. At the beginning of any "diet" you lose more weight, because you are eating healthier, which ussually includes less sodium, so you lose a bunch of water weight.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest fear. I am afraid that I will bust my hump to lose the 150 lbs I need to lose and then will screw up and will gain it back and will be devastated. But I think with the drive I have and determination that I will be ok. Just have to stay active and make sure I stick to eating healthy and I should be fine.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So this is the start of my second week using mfp and I've lost 6 lbs so far which I feel good about. I have this HUGE fear that I will gain all this weight back eventually, especially because I'm losing it fast. I mark down my weight every other day because within two days I will gain 1 or .5 lbs and then by the day after lose 1 or 1.5 lbs.

Does anyone else feel nervous??

How do I insure that I don't gain it back?

25 years ago, I took of 40 pounds. I was also terrified I would gain it all back.

But I kept it off for over 20 years! For me, the biggest factor was to keep exercising. When I am working out regularly, I eat better. I weighed myself every single day, and if I went up 3 pounds and it stayed for more than 2 days, I made some adjustments to my eating and my workouts.

Somehow, over the last couple of years I have gone to hell in a handcart. Gained nearly all of the weight back. I got sloppy with my eating, stopped working out and no surprise, it's almost all back again.

I just started fighting my way back, and I know I'll get back to the weight I mantained for over 20 years. I did it before, and I'll do it again.

But please know that it's do-able. You can lose it and keep it off, if you are willing to sustain big lifestyle changes. If you aren't willing to sustain them, the weight does come back.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    First off, you are doing amazing!! It's always a scary thing to lose the weight. Believe me...this is my second time! After I had my daughter I gained alllllll my weight back during the pregnancy. All I can offer is stay motivated, don't think you will mess up because you will with negative thinking...You just need to stay motivated, remind yourself constantly why you want this so bad and don't only focus on the scale. There was 2 weeks when I didn't lose a lb. I lost a lot of inches though so track your inches and that will brighten your mood when you're feeling down about weight loss! Good job so far and you are doing great!