Race Day

Options
I'm running my first 10k this weekend. What does everyone eat the morning before? It's early in the morning so I don't have time to eat a full breakfast and let it digest. I was thinking a power bar and a piece of fruit.

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I go for CLIF bar and a banana with water and maybe a gatorade.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For me, it's oatmeal and a banana... Good Luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kilojoule
    Options
    oatmeal is great for endurance sports, whole wheat bagel, coffee with lowfat milk - good luck
  • Wendy72
    Options
    Oatmeal for the win!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat eat anthing. If I did, it would be a banana or a piece of toast with jelly. Drink water.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My go-to race day breakfast has always been a half or whole PBJ sandwich! (Depends on length of race). You've got some good carbs from the whole-grain bread, and some protein and fat from the PB.

I usually try to eat at least 45 minutes before the race.

Some folks get nauseated if they eat before running, but I'm not one of them. ;)
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat poptarts, portable and out of my system fast.
  • Mark1968
    Options
    I am running my first 10k this weekend also. I normally run in the morning so I plan on eating the breakfast I always eat. 1 cup Special K with 1 cup of 2% milk. I dont want to do anyti\hing that my body isnt used to.....
    Good Luck this weekend!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump

Since I have yet to experience Race Day, I love this topic. Anyone else do anything different? Right now, based on the answers, I think I'm going to plan on dipping a peanut butter and jelly Pop Tart into some oatmeal....
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    half a banana and 2 slices of bacon. :) mmm... bacon.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Bump

Since I have yet to experience Race Day, I love this topic. Anyone else do anything different? Right now, based on the answers, I think I'm going to plan on dipping a peanut butter and jelly Pop Tart into some oatmeal....

Honestly, if you have time to experiment, experiment!

Different foods sit well with different folks. All the suggestions have been good and ones I've known other runners to use.

So if you have a bit of time before your race day, try different breakfasts before your long run. See how you feel. You can change it up if it's not working for you, rather than worrying on race day!

For some folks, the timing makes all the difference; for others, it's the meal itself. You generally want something you're used to eating and that has a good mix of carbs and fat. If it's a short race, carbs are more important. If it's a long one, you will want some fat as well.