Did I waste two weeks?? Learning who to trust.

2»

Replies

• VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    I can relate. I have a low (marathon runner low) heart rate and low blood pressure...resting HR is 46 and BP is 90/50. To make a long story short, when I switched to foods that were natural, unprocessed etc, I wasn't getting enough salt to maintain my BP and I put myself in the ICU for 3 days because my BP dropped and I passed out on a treadmill. Even now, people try to "coach you" on what to do cardiovascularly and I can't do certain things. It is hard to explain that it is not beacause I am 50 lbs overweight but because me heart is "too efficient".

Listen to your body---if you feel hunger, eat. (but know when to stop)
    That's the part that gets us every time!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Wow!!! Glad you are ok!!! I am a nurse, so I fully understand how dangerous this was!! Did your trainer know that you were a diabetic and took insulin? Goodness!! I am so glad that you listened to your body!! The last two weeks have not been a waste, You have been doing everything right but just need to increase your calories!! I bet that if you eat the caloires and carbs set by your doctor and continue to exercise you will have a good number on the scale in just a few days!! Keep up the good work. Just think of the last two weeks as practice, now you are ready to take on the journey head on!!:flowerforyou:

Yes, she knew I was a diabetic and was on insulin.
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Congrats on your getting off of insulin and the weight loss. I actually told my doctor about MFP and she said that was great and asked about the exercise cals and she said the same thing. So, I asked this guy that is a trainer about the exercise cals and he said you should eat them. So, some trainers are quacks and some aren't.
  • Congrats on getting off the insulin. That is a HUGE success! Woohoo!

I second this sentiment. Anytime you can get yourself off of some medication b/c you're healthier is a major VICTORY!!!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,340 Member
    Thanks for sharing this! You are smart, intuitive and on the right track for yourself. I love this site but there are people that believe some unhealthy info for losing weight. Your info is of value for everyone. I'm a Type 2 diabetic and my goal is to lose weight, get off the medicine and have lower stable blood sugar. Friend me if you want. I love to encourage people and chat with friends.:flowerforyou:
  • Losing2Live69
    WOW!
    I am so sorry you had to go through all that and a "trainer" that has no medical training. I think you should make your community aware of the "trainers" name and make sure everyone knows he/she is a fraud.
    Good job on the healthy weight loss.

I have no plans on doing that. I am not vindictive. I am just going to chalk this up to a learning experience and consult my doctor in the future if I have questions. I should have gone over the goals with my doctor in the first place. I will encourage others to do the same.
  • Losing2Live69
    Sorry to hear that your (old) trainer was a quack. :frown: It seems like you and your doctor have a great plan going. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.

I don't think she is a total quack. I just think she needs to be more careful to giving advice to people who have health problems as I do. I am sure she has helped many people who don't have the host of health problems as I do. I just think it is best for someone like me to turn to a doctor and not a trainer. Hind sight is 20/20 though. I was just so excited at the chance to have access to a trainer for 12 weeks for free I jumped at the opportunity. I never imagined this would happen. I just hope she takes this as a learning experience.
  • Losing2Live69
    WOW!
    I am so sorry you had to go through all that and a "trainer" that has no medical training. I think you should make your community aware of the "trainers" name and make sure everyone knows he/she is a fraud.

I am not sure of the extent of her training. I don't think she is a total fraud...I don't doubt she has helped people. It just turned out really bad for me.
  • Losing2Live69
    Sorry to hear that your (old) trainer was a quack. :frown: It seems like you and your doctor have a great plan going. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.

I don't think she is a total quack....she just really messed up with me. I have always been complicated! I just hope other people consult their doctors like I did....I mean with all the details, not just, "can I start a diet".
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    1200 calories to start with is pretty low, especially at that starting weight. You'll get there eventually though. Personally, I'd say being a diabetic is probably affecting things though, and you might consider talking to a licensed nutritionist or your physician (though they don't always know a lot about nutrition either).

I won't turn this into a debate about the infamous "starvation mode" but the good news is that you didn't waste two weeks. You're making a lifestyle change (hopefully), and as such, those two weeks were valuable as you started learning how to eat healthier, and how to make adjustments to your diet so that your body responds in a desirable manner (weight loss).

Knowledge is power.
  • Losing2Live69
    WOW!

Not sure of her training. I wouldn't say she is a fraud...she knows a lot...just not about how to train people with multiple medical issues.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    I tried eating 1200 calories a day and I couldn't do it ALL the time, I think it's too low for someone such as myself weighting in at 273! I eat at least 1450 if not a bit more on some days. Lately I have been getting very hungry and from what I understand, it means that you are losing weight when you are hungry all the time and I'm not talking about the not sure hungry, I mean the true hungry where your stomache is growling alot. I even have cheat meals once a week and so far I have lost 42 pounds in just under 12 weeks, so yes, more calories should do the trick and eat your exercise calories, some or all when you feel you need to. Listen to your body, it knows best! Good luck.
  • Losing2Live69
    I have tried to use the "quote" option to respond directly to some of the posts here. They aren't showing up. I am not a vindictive person. I have no plans of bashing her name. That is specifically why I haven't used her name. However, I will strongly encourage others in the weight loss challenge to sit down with their doctor and go over their nutrition goals. I am not sure of her education, I never asked (I should have). I just assumed the information she was giving me was accurate. Hind sight is 20/20. Also, I don't think she is a quack or a fraud. She is smart on many areas of nutrition and fitness. I just don't think she needs to take on people with multiple health issues. I just hope she learns from this experience. Lashing out in anger over this wouldn't accomplish a thing. Yes, I am upset this had to happen, It scared me! She needs to be aware of her mistakes, but I can go about that in a civilized way. I try my best to find a little hope in bad situations. I think there is a lot to be learned from this whole thing.
This discussion has been closed.