Mcdonald’s Oatmeal (Sadly) Not Much Better than a Sausage

Options
Just read an excellent opinion piece from Mark Bittman regarding the poor nutrition in Mcdonald’s Oatmeal. Below is an excerpt, you can read the entire piece here: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/how-to-make-oatmeal-wrong/
Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It is really good but yes it is full of sugar at 32 grams!!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just read an excellent opinion piece from Mark Bittman regarding the poor nutrition in Mcdonald’s Oatmeal. Below is an excerpt, you can read the entire piece here: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/how-to-make-oatmeal-wrong/
    Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)
    Heaven forbid anyone should ever eat anything that's NATURAL and unprocessed and preserved and sweetened to high heaven. I have heard too that it doesn't taste all that great, even with all the additives. Maybe they should reconsider the TYPE or BRAND of oatmeal they are using then they can get rid of all that other crap and it might taste half decent.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    if it is pre packaged they are pretty much stuck...
  • yrodri44
    Options
    Wow. I was curious about it but probably would have ended up trying it then looking up the nutrition facts. Thanks.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Heaven forbid anyone should ever eat anything that's NATURAL and unprocessed and preserved and sweetened to high heaven. I have heard too that it doesn't taste all that great, even with all the additives. Maybe they should reconsider the TYPE or BRAND of oatmeal they are using then they can get rid of all that other crap and it might taste half decent.
    . It is NASTY! I got it once when it first came out before we started our lifestyle change. Not worth it!
  • trailrunner_jules
    Options
    on the other hand you can make oatmeal in your microwave in less time than it takes to go through the drive thru! what is McD's thinking?
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind they serve their oatmeal with choices. The biggest choice is to grab your breakfast at home and by pass McDonalds altogether. :ohwell:
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Does that surprise anybody? The only thing I've found that I can get away with there is the salad, and thats with grilled chicken and lite dressing. And, even that, is sodium filled . . . so not very often do I even do that. I make a salad at home and hardly has any sodium, its more filling and better . . . I'm sure the oatmeal is the same, except with sugar. =0)
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That's scary. But what I've come to expect from McDonald's
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I make my own plain oatmeal at home and add a little splash of vanilla soymilk, a tiny bit of pecans, cinnamon, blackberries or blueberries and a teeeeeeny squirt of maple syrup :) YUM.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Does that surprise anybody? The only thing I've found that I can get away with there is the salad, and thats with grilled chicken and lite dressing. And, even that, is sodium filled . . . so not very often do I even do that. I make a salad at home and hardly has any sodium, its more filling and better . . . I'm sure the oatmeal is the same, except with sugar. =0)
    I almost fell off my chair when I found out how much sodium was in the grilled ceaser with light dressing. No more micky D salads for me.!
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, im def. opting for the burger!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Guess now's as good a time as any to encourage anybody who hasn't seen Super Size Me to check it out. It's free on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I didn't even have to read anything to come to the conclusion that it was probably complete garbage.

I don't even consider anything that comes from MCdonald's as edible.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I’ve never tried it. But I would have assumed it was simply cooked oats + toppings. But why the “oatmeal” needs to contain seven ingredients and the “cream” an additional seven, is beyond me. Especially for people trying to make healthy choices when they eat out, this oatmeal is like a joke being played on them. I don’t trust McDonalds to protect my health, but I still…why did they have to take wholesome oatmeal and turn it into mystery porridge?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really surprised? It's McDonald's. They're not known for serving health foods. And, oatmeal really isn't that great for breakfast. It's not filling and has a ton of calories. I like oatmeal, a lot. But the last time I tried to eat it I couldn't make it with milk, couldn't add hardly any sugar and it still came out close to 500 calories.
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a McDonald's. WORST company ever. If they don't take care of their employees...why would they care about their customer's and their nutrition. It's really bad food
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I think it is exaggeration on the part of the author to say that McD's oatmeal is no better than a sausage biscuit. OF COURSE it is better to make your own oatmeal over buying it! But even making your own, you will find that oatmeal is high in carbs and even higher when you add fruit and brown sugar! It is complex carbs that are better than the simple sugars in a Snickers bar though.

Do I think that McDonald's oatmeal should replace regular oatmeal made at home? No. But I personally am happy to have another healthier option for the times that I do have to eat breakfast on the road... and McDonald's is often all that is available. (When we go on long road trips we usually leave before dawn and so we are hungry by the time McDonald's opens!) Fast food shouldn't be a default option for anyone... but I'll take oatmeal (or even the Egg McMuffin, which is consistently one of the healthiest options for a fast food breakfast) over a sausage biscuit any day!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    my wife tried it and said it was all watery and she had to wait for the oatmeal to take in the water, it was just instant oatmeal with some fruit dumped on top. I hate Mcdonald's everything!
  • Tiffany1111
    Tiffany1111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's McDonalds they will also make things that appear to be healthy and nutritious into something not. I eat the reduced sugar Quakers instant oatmeal (only 120 calories) and it takes 1 1/2 minutes to make. So yummy.