Friend requests?

Options
Why do I get friend requests from people I have had no interaction with? And why is there never a message with their requests? Seems if they really wanted to be MFPals, they would say something. :huh:

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree. That's weird.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Also agreed. It's common courtesy to say hi when you want to be someone's friend. That's kindergarten, people. But I never ignore friend requests. I just make it a goal to talk to THEM after they friend ME.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If I request people I don't know, I always say why. IE: "I saw your post on this and liked what you had to say".
    Some people are just friend *kitten*, I guess.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    the only time i dont leave a message is when somebody asks for support, i say request on way, but they know its on the way, so no message necessary on my part. otherwise i accept the request and go ahead and try to support in anyway possible.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Do they have common friends? I just joined and my friend asked all her friends to add me and no one (well maybe 1) said anything in the comment thing. Maybe they are friends of friends?
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I received a ton like that when I first started, I'm glad I friended most because they get me motivated and inspire me. I don't know why...lol but they do :)
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh... I think I may be a friend-*kitten*! Lol. Sometimes I just don't know what to say. I feel a tad awkward, and just send the request (because I read them on a board). If they accept I'll definitely be commenting on their statuses, and progress. That's the point of being friends and giving each other some support.

Maybe that'd explain why they do it. I'm defending all friend-*kitten* around. Haha. :)
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No, they are just random ones. I haven't asked for more friends. I am happy to have them. But if we haven't had any interaction, then I am only going to add someone if they say something to me too.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Carrie, haha! That's funny! It's okay to be a friend *kitten*, but I still say I want a hello or something. I don't know. Maybe I need to change my ways and just start accepting all friend requests I get. But sometimes I feel bad when I don't have time to comment on everyone's statuses or I miss something someone did.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If I request people I don't know, I always say why. IE: "I saw your post on this and liked what you had to say".
    Some people are just friend *kitten*, I guess.

Just to clarify, I really didn't mean it as a judgement, just that some people need or want to have a great # of friends and others don't care and only add people they know. Don't want to make anyone self-conscious :)
  • PuraVidaMadre
    PuraVidaMadre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how not to have friend requests happen. I’m really private about my weight loss, have no desire to interact with anyone. The same weird person I don’t know keeps sending me requests. How do I stop it?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how not to have friend requests happen. I’m really private about my weight loss, have no desire to interact with anyone. The same weird person I don’t know keeps sending me requests. How do I stop it?

If someone is bothering you, you can block them and they can't get through. Otherwise just refuse all requests, or write on your profile page that you have no interest in FR.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options

If you're being harassed repeatedly by the same person, report them and block them.

You can report them through the Help link in MFP, or to one of the MFP in this post https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028709/meet-our-community-team#latest (use a private message to contact the staff).
  • AprilWalker12
    AprilWalker12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think there is something wrong with MFP where messages don't get through if you have just done a friend request. I would be careful because I have friends who gave up on MFP because of creepy people. But most people here are really nice. I don't accept friends unless I can see where the person has found me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I think there is something wrong with MFP where messages don't get through if you have just done a friend request. I would be careful because I have friends who gave up on MFP because of creepy people. But most people here are really nice. I don't accept friends unless I can see where the person has found me.

Messages generally can only be exchanged after a friend request has been accepted, or back and forth with MFP staff. It used to be possible to send a message with a friend request, but IMU that was intentionally disabled because some people were using that capability to harass others, unfortunately. Another example in life of why we can't have nice things because of a few horrid people!