My Plateau

Options
In nature, a plateau is a very large, area that is higher than the surrounding terrain. It differs from a mesa, a flat topped mountain, because of the acreage involved. For example, the Edwards Plateau covers most of west central Texas; it is bigger than most north eastern states and, and contains in whole or in part, about 30 counties. My gut feels like its about the same size as the Edwards Plateau and since my scale refuses to budge, it appears that not only have I "achieved a dieting" plateau, I am one.

What really sucks is that the daily score on MFP keeps telling me that in 5 weeks I'll break 300 lbs! It's been saying that for 2 weeks. I'm still 312 lbs. I think that is the only thing my scale has the ability to say. I would say that I've worn a "groove" in the scale but it works for my wife and is jammed for me.

I read the achievements and triumphs of my MFP friends and of other members, while I sit, lodged firmly at 312. I complement them on the consistency of their exercise and weight loss progress while I maintain a consistency of my own.

Perhaps on day I will lose two lbs and get down to 310. I suppose its possible that one day I will actually leave the 300 club behind. However, I cannot see that from here because there is a huge plateau in the weigh.

Quitting is not an option and the only thing to do is to be persistent.

Until the breakthrough comes, I remain stubbornly at 312.

:explode:

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Have you read this thread? Might find something to try... Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just got out of a plateau today after being in it for two weeks. It was sooo frustrating to see the same number on the scale every single day, but this morning I got on the scale and dropped a pound.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've been plateauing for 10 days now and even went up 3.6 pounds for a day.
    I'm trying to be patient and trust that my body knows what it's doing but it's frustrating.

My Dr. (who has lost 85 lbs in 2 years) warned me that it could take up to a month to get past a plateau.

Hang in there!!! I think we've all been where you are now and can feel your frustration.
    I find that sometimes when I b*tch about something, I get the results I'm after. lol
  • helbohn
    Options
    ahhhh...the dreadful plateau. so i've read jillian michaels book, winning by losing(i think that's the name). she says plateaus happen due to eating the same amount of calories everyday. your metabolism recognizes it and it plateaus. so,what she does is have a weekly total of the amount of calories to consume. that weekly number divided by 7 days, but each day have a different total. example: say the weekly calorie intake is 10,000. divide that by 7= 1,428. instead of eating 1,428 each day, mix it up to something like this:
    sunday: 1600
    monday 1400
    tuesday 1500
    wednesay 1300
    thursday 1500
    friday 1300
    saturday 1400

hope that helps you. i dont' look forward to my plateau. she also says it passes. it may take longer for some, but it does pass, and not to give up. good luck to you. and don't give up!!!! ;-)
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the kind and encouraging words.

I'll post again when I break through. I'm really going to try to break up the daily number of calories consumed.