kicking sugar and refined carbs

Options
I did a cleanse in January, which eliminated all sugar (aside from fruit), refined grains/carbs (some whole grains were allowed), and limited protein to fish for part of the cleanse, then eliminated all but vegan sources. It was only 15 days, but I felt great overall, and was proud to feel like I'd gotten away from sugar and refined carbs for good.

Well, until I ate them again, that is.

I realize a good part of this effort requires me to "just say no" to candy, sugar, crackery snacks or any refined carbs, but I'm hoping to find some solidarity in this quest. Anyone out there have some inspiring ideas or ways to keep these things out of your diet?

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In my experience post workout meals higher in sugar seem to have less impact on my cravings and significantly reduce the risk of falling off the sugar wagon. Plus its beneficial for replenishing muscle glycogen which is recomended after a workout any way. :o)
  • JoanCG
    JoanCG Posts: 22
    Options
    It was hard for me to stop my sugar addiction but I did it and now when I crave something sweet, I get naked and look at myself in the mirror to remind myself what the sugar did to me in the first place. :tongue:
  • 5025grrr
    Options
    I have been reading the book" Skinny *****" and have been learning some very interesting things if you did a clense like that you should read the book I think it will give you some new motivation it has for me and I am a sweet tooth junkie. I have really been trying to eat fresh fruit and only wholesome healthy foods who would of thought in this day and age it would be difficult to do. Not to mention expensive but you do feel better when you do so ya gotta weigh the difference right. Good luck. Plus when I do have a sugar craving I have started eating chobani greek yogurt or a skinny cow treat.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ive been able to cut my sugar by so much, used to be over 50gr per day now im barely getting 30gr and mostly from milk which I know its ok because the benefits from milk out due the bad ..I rarely eat fruit, I take vitamins and eat other stuff that compare to fruit. Its all about looking at the facts!...you can tell when something has a lot of sugar..
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    I have had a hard time w/the carbs. I don't usually want anything sweet. I want salty, something to fill me, etc. So fruit won't satisfy me. A few snacks I've found are string cheese (lowfat), cottage cheese & nuts. The nuts (peanuts, cashews, etc.) are higher in calories, but are good fats & just a handful will fill & satisfy me. Good luck!