Number not moving

Options
I've been on MFP for almost a month and watch my calories religiously. Still not exercising like I should. I always come in under my calories and have not had any junk in 4 weeks. However, I just do not see the number on the scale moving. I can really tell a difference in my clothes as all my pants are becoming too big which tells me something is happening. But why isn't the number moving much? I've lost 3 pounds since I started. I know that is about right (little less than a pound a week) but I guess I was hoping it would happen faster. I am really trying to exercise more. Is this what I should expect as my typical weight loss? Slow and study? I also want to add that since eating healthy food and watching my calories, I have so much more energy. I'm still tired at the end of the day but on the weekends is when I can really tell. I want to go outside and play with my son instead of sit while he plays.

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I would say you are showing progress.
    Both the lose clothes and increased energy are excellent indicators that you are losing.
    Slow and steady is the best way to ensure long-term weight loss and maintenance. It has to be a lifestyle not just eating less for a awhile and then going back to your old habits.
    Definitely get going on the exercise. That will ramp up your metabolism and give you even more energy in the long run.
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience... my clothes became looser before I saw any scale action. But I am now down 12 pounds. I asked the same question, and some told me that they wish they lost inches before pounds... the grass is always greener! I think you will see the scale move very soon.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Being THAT close to goal...you're gonna have to burn it girl.
    and eat to fuel :happy:
  • PartTimeSarah
    PartTimeSarah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    See, I was the absolute opposite this summer. I lost 40 lbs. and only went down one pants size. To me that was even worse than the other way around. I know I am healthier, but I would love to see more change in my lower half.
  • DaninMiaFL
    DaninMiaFL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have talked to a bunch of people about this. Most of us have not gained alot of weight in a month or two, rather we gained it over time slowly. Losing your weight at the same pace is about right. Exercise is VERY important in losing weight. because it increases your metabolism, and not only do you lose the calories from working out, there is a longer term effect in your body using fat.

Stick to your diet. If you can, try walking. Studies show that people who walk 30 minutes a day have about the same effect on their body as people who run. I started at a 30 minute walk a day and I am up to about 45 to 50 minutes every other day and 30 minutes on the opposite days.

You have a great start on your weight battle. Don't get discouraged! It takes approximately 3500 calories in deficit to equal 1 lb of weight. That means if you are 500 calories low each day, you will lose 1 lb per week.

Best,

Dan
  • JenSol
    JenSol Posts: 13
    Options
    My number is also moving very slowly but my clothes are getting looser. I'm trying very hard to be patient with this process but , yes, it is frustrating. I'm in this about a little more than a month now too. I guess slow and steady is the plan for us. Fast weight lose is no good either. I guess I'll take. My husband is famous for "It could be worse" comments. So here goes "It could be worse" we could not be seeing any results. Good luck and keep up the good work.