Tamales

Options
My husband loves tamales and I am not the greatest cook and they seem difficult to make... however I told him we could find a recipe and make them together. Does anyone has a recipe for them?

Replies

• audbbgirl
    Options
    Found this on sparkpeople.com
    There are many more. This one was only 139 calories

Ingredients
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 cups masa
    1 1/4 cup water
    1/2 T cumin
    1 T paprika
    1 T chili powder
    1 T garlic powder
    3/4 lb ground turkey
    small can of mild green chili peppers
    16 tamale wrappers (corn husks or banana leaves)

Directions
    Soak tamale wrappers for about 45 minutes in hot water until they are flexible enough to wrap. Cook the meat in a skillet with salt and chili peppers, set aside.

Combine masa with spices, sift, and mix in the water and canola oil. Add a bit more water if the dough feels too stiff to spread.

Flatten tamale wrappers and spread masa dough onto them. Add meat on top of that and wrap them up. Steam for 1 hour or until the masa peels off of the corn husk very easily.

Number of Servings: 16

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SPRINGLING.

Number of Servings: 16
  • Browneyez26
    Options
    what kind of tamales does he like? there's many different kinds, Mexican, Salvadorian, Puerto Rican?
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love tamales....
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love tamales, but traditional recipes are very high in fat and calories. Happy to see a lower calorie recipe on here. I have googled recipes in the past, and you can find many, some with step-by-step illustrated instructions. I've made Alton Brown's recipe before. Very good, but very involved, as are most of his recipes!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i love these Bump !!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed to have a wife from Chihuahua, Mexico. She makes the traditional tamales from that region: corn meal masa filled with pork in red chile or jalapeno slices and jack cheese, steamed in corn husks. Every Christmas, without fail. Heaven -- but so very bad for you. Eh, it's just once a year, right?

Worst part: Hours of hard work to prepare, and they disappear in minutes.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Worst part: Hours of hard work to prepare, and they disappear in minutes.

If I were the chef, the fact that they disappear in minutes would be the best compliment and make all the work worth it!