Anyone else hate the eliptical..or is it just me?

Options
So i think i must be doing it wrong. I see where people spend what seems like hours on those dang things

I get on one and 30 seconds later my heart rate is so through the roof im about to pass out.

I think i must be doing it wrong..i just get on and start moving.

What should i be doing to make sure the eliptical becomes my friend.

thanks for any help here :)

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I hate it also. I get on and not even 5 or ten minutes later my legs are killing me and I am way out of breath. I stay away from them. I really don't understand how so many people can like them so much either.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Nope- hate it with a passion. Maybe you are doing it wrong- cuz I've never had a heart rate problem, just a "blech" issue of boredom. :-)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hate it.
    It makes my knees ache. The instructors at the gym said that my technique is correct, but my knees ache.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I love it! Start out slow though. I started out doing 20 mins on manual on a low level. Each day I worked my way up to a higher level. If your heart is beating too fast just slow down. You want to get it pumping but not to the point where you are feeling unwell. I hope that helps. But if you just don't like it, find your own favorite machine. :flowerforyou:
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the arc trainers MUCH BETTER than the elliptical. Most elliptical machines at the gym are so old and run down that they make noise and are clunky! I have low back/hip issues so the arc trainer was suggested to me by my chiropractor. It is a great workout just so much smoother and lower impact on the joints.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love it, now treadmills I hate, I can never get past a slow walk without feeling like Im about to fall off..im just not that cordinated lol
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I can't do it either because of my heart rate.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but I kept trying and now I'm used to it. As far as knees hurting, some ellipticals I can't use because they hurt.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I just got mine about a week ago. I am going slow and not trying to run a race on it. I am set on the lowest resitance level and on a variable program. I do slow down and speed up as I am on it. But so far I love it. I find it to be one of the fastest calorie buring cardio workouts that is easy on my poor old joints.

I can only go about 25 minutes at a time though but I hope to continue to push on to longer periods.

ZH
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi

I used to have the same problem, so my PT told me to start slowly and not to use the handles (still don't!!) and I worked it up a little at a time. I wear a HRM to make sure that I don't let my heart rate go too high. Take it easy at first and just build it up slowly, don't be put off by someone going like crazy beside you. I can now do 15 mins get a good workout and stay upright!!

Good luck
  • twfleischer
    twfleischer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical!! Try very low resistance at first and dont try to go as fast as you can. Start slow and concentrate on your breathing. Are you listening to music? That helps too. I tend to go the speed of whatever song Im listening too. You should eventually be able to increase your speed and your resistance for a great calorie burning work out!
  • jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm also an elliptical hater!! Everyone seems to think it's easier than other cardio machines - not at all! Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but that thing is impossible. Put me on a treadmill and I can run & run, put me on a stationary bike and I can pedal away. I don't get the elliptical.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Despise them but people can't accept that for some reason. Everyone says I should trade my beloved treadmill for one but I think not. XD
  • RiverWild
    RiverWild Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow, I know I hated the elliptical at first - I thought I would die before I could spend any decent time on it. Once I decided to spend a week making myself do it for as long as I could take it and it took about three days for me to actually like it. I make sure the resistance and the pace I'm at vary a lot through out the workout and I spend 5 to 10 minutes doing a warm up before I do anything intense. I do the elliptical because I have knee problems. Maybe have someone go through the machine with you because it definitely sounds like something is wrong.
  • kcphilly
    Options
    ohhh this has so been me. The first time I tried it my HR was over 180 in like 2 mins...of course I hadn't worked out in months. I stopped using it for a few weeks and just did the treadmill and bike. Then I started again and forced myself to do 5 mins...HR was still high but under 170...then I worked up to 8 mins, now I can do 10 and be ok. I think it's a machine you definitely gotta work up to. Cause I am amazed that everyone else around me can be doing 30 mins+ at higher levels and not pass out.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nope- hate it with a passion. Maybe you are doing it wrong- cuz I've never had a heart rate problem, just a "blech" issue of boredom. :-)

same! i think its the most boring exercise
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my nemesis!! But, it's what works well for my husband who has bad knees, so that's the machiine we have at home. Like someone else posted earlier, start out slow and on a low level for a few minutes and gradually work your way up. If you still don't like it after a while, then try and find something else. Another thing that helps me is that we have a TV right in front of ours and that's where I let myself indulge in one "ridiculous" TV show that there is no reason to watch (a soap). =) Hope it works or that you can find something else that you like, good luck!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but I kept trying and now I'm used to it. As far as knees hurting, some ellipticals I can't use because they hurt.

I think this may have something to do with the quality of the machine, but more so with the length of the stride on the machine. I was told by some folks to look for a machine that has a stride of no less than 18 inches. Mine has about a 20 inch stride and my joints feel fine (as long as I keep my posture and keep my feet flat on the 'foot pads'.
  • Cinlan
    Cinlan Posts: 12
    Options
    If I'm not really careful, I can get that thing spinning too fast & it gives me heart rate problems. I switch between pulling/pushing with upper body and striding for power. Balancing my weight on full foot or just the balls makes a different stride, too. It's the same apparent motion, but different muscle groups are strengthening. Otherwise I'd be gaga bored.
  • sfcop311
    Options
    Personally, I like the arc trainers MUCH BETTER than the elliptical. Most elliptical machines at the gym are so old and run down that they make noise and are clunky! I have low back/hip issues so the arc trainer was suggested to me by my chiropractor. It is a great workout just so much smoother and lower impact on the joints.
    I love the arc trainer also