How do I lose weight in arms?

Options
I was wondering what everyone's routines are regarding losing weight in triceps. Also, would love to hear success stories!! Thanks!:wink:

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    bump, I have gianormus arms :/
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Sorry - you can't spot lose fat.
    Cardio and weight training is the way to go.
    Good luck!
    Steph
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Sorry - you can't spot lose fat.
    Cardio and weight training is the way to go.
    Good luck!
    Steph
    That's what i've always heard too. Cardio to burn off the fat and weight training to tone the muscle.
  • dsteig
    Options
    Agreed - you can't lose weight in one area. But, the more fat you lose and muscle you gain, the muscle will start to show through. Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say, but you can't just lose weight in one area because your body will remove fat however it chooses. Something that will help is if you start weight training and strengthen your arm muscles. You may still have the same amount of fat (which you won't as the newly acquired muscle will burn fat), but it will look like there is less there.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you can't spot lose fat...but I think you can tone.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hate to agree with the others, but you unfortunately can't make that decision. I wish you could...if I could, then it would totally come from right there too!

The only way I have ever heard of to get rid of fat in "spot" areas is liposuction. Sorry.
  • beccajordan7
    Options
    I would do a lot of arm reps with weights, or google exercises for your arms. You'll get a lot of feedback from that (:
    Good luck!
  • KatieLouH
    Options
    I am desperate to lose from my arms - even at my slimmest (8st) I had large bingo wings (I wasn't tooned then though). I know that for me it's in the genes to have big arms as my mum has always hated hers, and another thing I heard was that if you have big boobs, theres bound to be a big pair of arms either side :o(

Am doing body pump and weights at the gym but they're so weak it's really hard....
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I agree you cant spot lost fat. but the rowing machine is one of my favorite.

And The more muscle you have the faster your body will lose the fat. So I would start strength training if you don't. I have hated my arms for a long time,. and I am getting married soon and so I have wanted to get rid of my flabby arms, so I do the rowing machine and strength training (lifting weights) as well as CARDIO! but you have to do the balance,. If you don't have very much muscle in your arms your body will take longer to lose the fat. So start building that muscle.

also, the flabby skin that people call "armpit fat" is really breast tissue, so if you want to tone that up I would tone your chest muscles or your "pecs" that will help too.

And remmeber that as you build the muscle, you might notice that you get bigger in places before you get smaller. This is normal. your body has to have time to build that muscle and then give that muscle time to start burning that fat. It doesn't happen simultaneously
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't think you can spot reduce, but you can definately tone your triceps. Pushups, side planks, and tricep dips are some exercises you can do without any equipment. You can also do tricep kickbacks and tricep extensions. There are all sorts of variations on these (with a barbell, with a medicine ball, with dumbbells, standing up, using stability balls, on a bench, etc). If your gym has cable machines, many of those can be used to do tricep moves (I don't remember if they're called pushdowns or pulldowns). And many chest and back exercises also work out the tricep area depending on incline of the bench and the width of your grip. I believe with proper form the rowing machine (for cardio) provides a darn good arm workout, just beware of hand blisters.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    You cannot SPOT REDUCE. You need to do lots of cardio (High Intensity) and WEIGHT TRAIN -! And last BUT not least make sure your eating right. (Complex cars, Protein, Good fats -Nuts, olive Oil, and cutback on sugar and sodium.)
  • lareyna124
    Options
    You cannot SPOT REDUCE. You need to do lots of cardio (High Intensity) and WEIGHT TRAIN -! And last BUT not least make sure your eating right. (Complex cars, Protein, Good fats -Nuts, olive Oil, and cutback on sugar and sodium.)

CARBS*
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Along with cardio I do tricep dips that have toned my arms well. Stand in front of a chair and place ur hands on edge of chair-fingers facing forward holding onand dip down with ur arms supporting ur body forming 90 degree angle with ur arms then push urself back up-almost like a backward push-up-hope this helps;-)
  • erinkelly2
    erinkelly2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of tricep dips hoping to tone them as i lose.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can actually lose weight in a target area. You can lose weight, and it comes off all over, based on how much is packed on all over. The only thing you could do in a target area is muscle growth or definition. So if that's what you're wanting, then I would do tricep- and shoulder-targeting exercises
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    And don't follow the false advice of low weight high reps. Women will not get bulky like guys and those that get really cut have really low body fat. If you are lifting weights, lift to muscle exhaustion. On each rep, use the highest weight you can safely and in proper form. The denser and larger muscle mass will burn more calories. Just doing cardio and not lifting weights will get you no where but you do need them both for weight loss and a healthy life.

Good Luck!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    And don't follow the false advice of low weight high reps. Women will not get bulky like guys and those that get really cut have really low body fat. If you are lifting weights, lift to muscle exhaustion. On each rep, use the highest weight you can safely and in proper form. The denser and larger muscle mass will burn more calories. Just doing cardio and not lifting weights will get you no where but you do need them both for weight loss and a healthy life.

Good Luck!

Amen! especially when you are over weight, your body will not get "ripped" it takes a LONG time to get "ripped" as a woman.

You can do cardio til your blue in the face, but if you don't have the muscle to back it up then your cardio is a waste of time, because the muscle is what will speed up that fat loss.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you can't reduce weight in certain areas. By upping more cardio though you will lose weight all over.

I'd also recommend getting Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones for strengthening your muslces and toning up!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BUMP