Anyone out there trying to lost those last 5-10 pounds?

Options
I have just met my first goal of losing 10 pounds. My next goal is to lose 6 pounds putting me at 125 (my weight in college). At that point, I plan to re-evaluate to determine if I want to lose more. Mostly, I'm interested in toning up at this point. Is anybody out there in the same boat as me? Or does anybody have any success stories that might help me? I'm also looking for any tips or advice you could offer about toning?

I know from past experiences that this phase is the hardest phase of weight loss. i want to reach a healthy weight that I'm happy with and tighten up by swimsuit season!

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's me. I've lost 22 lbs. and am 1 lb. away from my goal weight. It's really hard to lose this last little bit and I'm still struggling with the eating my exercise calorie philosophy. MFP gives me 1200 for the day and I eat to at least 1600 even on days I don't workout because that is manageable to me. I still have fat and jiggle on my thighs, tummy, and butt but my face is really thin, you can see my ribs (not a great look when you are 47!) and I noticed my lower arms going into my hands didn't look so good. So, I'm trying really hard to focus on toning and strength but I still have the mindset of "how many calories did I burn?????" and I don't burn as many with strength training as I do with pure cardio. I've joined a measurement challenge and took measurements for the first time (really wish I had done so earlier) and am gonna try and focus on that challenge vs. the others where it's calories burned or lose x lbs. by this date. Don't know if I have any tips, but feel free to friend me!
  • shunke
    shunke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back to my ideal weight/muscle tone and it's those last 5-10 that I am struggling with too. With bikini season right around the corner I can sympathize with your struggle. If you figure out how to get it to start moving downward please share!! Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    6 years ago I lost 70 lbs., but I was never able to lose the last 10. I gained some of it back, but I finally got rid of that this year. My project is now to finish losing this last 1/4 inch of fat around my stomach.

What are you guys doing in your attempt to lose it?
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am there with you!! I am currently mxing it up. I've been hitting the gym with heavy weights and cardio machines and now I'm trying some home videos for a bit to shock my body. I've competed in figure division of body building and to lose the rest, you have to really tighten up on your diet. If you would like more details, let me know.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will take any advice and guidance that you are willing to offer. I know there are certain "power foods" that will help me build muscle. So far, I've steered clear of the weights at the gym and focused on the cardio machines. It's been years since I've used weights or any strength machines so I feel out of my comfort zone. It doesn't help that I work at a University and this is our on campus gym so I'm surrounded by college kids in GREAT shape. I will have to overcome my intimidation because toning is the main reason I joined the gym. I do Zumba classes usually twice a week that gives me an intense cardio workout so I need that balance. My main focus right now is my tummy but I also want to work on my arms. I two children, the youngest of which is only 8 months old so I really want to lose that extra "baby weight".
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the "I didn't burn enough calories" panic as well. Up until this point, that's been such a major representation of how disciplined I was for the day. I have even contemplated buying a calorie counting watch to wear to see how many I'm burning at various times of the day but I finally decided that I need to stop grading myself that way. In almost 7 weeks of calorie counting, i've only gone over my goal once and that's saying a lot for me because I'm a snack a holic. I know that if I'm planning to work on building muscle, I'm going to have to change my mindset and eat the foods that give me strength.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    i am definitely a believer in weight training for losing the last 10 pounds and this thread only confirmed it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

By weight training you may find that you actually don't lose 10 lbs. on the scale (may even gain some), but you'll lose the last of the fat that you've been dieing to lose and you'll look much better than if you would have just lost the fat without gaining the muscle.