Fitness as a career?

Options
I was just wondering if any of the peeps out there have continued the inspiration of their weight loss journey into a fulfillling career in the field?

I am considering pursuing this after my youngest heads off to school and am interested in hearing some successes and/or challenges that anyone has faced.

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I worked in the industry for 6 1/2 years on the financial side. (I was the Controller) and all I can say is that many find the job rewarding but you're not going to make any money doing it.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing about it too!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This fitness thing has become such a passion of mine that I have chosen to change my major to Exercise Science with the hope of becoming a personal trainer. I have loved the results I have gotten and would love nothing more than to carry on that success by helping others achieve their own. I'm not there yet and have a lot to learn, but I think I've found my life's ambition and am looking forward to seeing what I can do.
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    I am..Never thought I would be taking the big step that is way out of my comfort zone..But after taking a stand in September to try to get back into shape after my lovely son took it away..I thought this was great, I'm loving it and decided to start the journey to become a personal trainer. I figure that I would need something to do for ME. My plans are to be training in my home and maybe the clients home.
    Let me know if you have any questions..There are a lot of programs out there to choose from. Make sure the one you choose is accredited. If your planning on training at a certain gym then I would find out which programs they accept. It's not the sheet of paper that you get when you pass your exam...it's what you do with it!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I Love My Job :-)
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I worked in the industry for 6 1/2 years on the financial side. (I was the Controller) and all I can say is that many find the job rewarding but you're not going to make any money doing it.

Lol. That's okay. I run a dayhome currently and make no money as it is!!!
  • vox23
    Options
    I am..Never thought I would be taking the big step that is way out of my comfort zone..But after taking a stand in September to try to get back into shape after my lovely son took it away..I thought this was great, I'm loving it and decided to start the journey to become a personal trainer. I figure that I would need something to do for ME. My plans are to be training in my home and maybe the clients home.
    Let me know if you have any questions..There are a lot of programs out there to choose from. Make sure the one you choose is accredited. If your planning on training at a certain gym then I would find out which programs they accept. It's not the sheet of paper that you get when you pass your exam...it's what you do with it!

As a 36 yr old currently doing a job that is completely out of necessity and unfulfilling, I thought of being a personal trainer never used to cross my mind, but it seems like a wonderful career (up until now I've been in dreaded retail and currently run a private dayhome). We have a local college that offers a 2 year diploma course in fitness and health. I never thought I'd go back to school, but that seems the smartest way to attack this!
  • vox23
    Options
    This fitness thing has become such a passion of mine that I have chosen to change my major to Exercise Science with the hope of becoming a personal trainer. I have loved the results I have gotten and would love nothing more than to carry on that success by helping others achieve their own. I'm not there yet and have a lot to learn, but I think I've found my life's ambition and am looking forward to seeing what I can do.

The very best of luck to you!!! Keep me posted on your progress with that!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am going to look into becoming a fitness instructor, That way I can pick the days I will hold the class, and I can still do what I love!! I think it would be amazing to be a personal trainer, but I don't have that much time to give to it right now in my life.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I've thought that if I ever switched careers (I'm an event planner, and really couldn't see switching, but still) I'd be a dietician. I feel that personal training might be more fun on a day-to-day basis, but the nutritional aspect is what gives so many people a hard time.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating all of the same things you are. I'm currently a SAHM to my two little girls and I just recently decided to become a Beachbody Coach, since I've had just success w/ their fitness products. But beyond that I keep thinking I may like to become a certified instructor and maybe a personal trainer. It's really my passion right now and I'd love to help other people get passionate about fitness too!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's not the fitness industry, but I've found a way to incorporate physical activity into a career that I love. My new found love of keeping moving inspired me to quit my job and start my own business as a dog walker and pet sitter. :) It has been such a good change-- instead of moping around an office all day, I get to go outside and tromp around for miles with dogs. I joke that I've become a personal trainer for dogs, heh. ;)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's not the fitness industry, but I've found a way to incorporate physical activity into a career that I love. My new found love of keeping moving inspired me to quit my job and start my own business as a dog walker and pet sitter. :) It has been such a good change-- instead of moping around an office all day, I get to go outside and tromp around for miles with dogs. I joke that I've become a personal trainer for dogs, heh. ;)

That is fantastic and wayyyy out of my comfort zone! I applaud you! :flowerforyou:
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    I have worked in animal welfare for almost 11 years which I LOVE. However, I am coming to a point in my life where I need to make a change and I too decided to become a Beachbody Coach after having used their products off and on for several years. I have no illusions that I am going to make much money doing this-I just believe in their programs and philosophies so it is a natural fit for me.

Still, I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, and I am also planning to get my personal trainer certification in April (through ACE) and I am also apprenticing to teach LesMills fitness classes. I also intend to get certified to teach Zumba, as people really seem to love that!

My ultimate goal is to open my own fitness center that specializes in group classes, becasue it seems that many people do better at keeping their commitment in a group setting! plus, group classes are FUN!

What i have heard from some of my friends who are/were personal trainers is that it is easy to get frustrated with clients, because you cannot do the work for them-you can offer advice and guidance but only they can make the change!

Keep it up guys and gals! :wink:
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i keep thinking about it. I would love to at least teach some fitness classes or something like that. I have a friend who is actually becoming a PT and I have been talking to her about it.