Serious question for everyone

SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
OK, if someone posts something on the boards (and remember, these are publicly accessible boards people, not private thoughts like a Facebook board), do you think it's ethically and morally ok to post a reply that questions their post, or even point out the error if you feel it's wrong? I'm not talking about someone asking a question, I'm pretty sure someone asking a question is looking for responses, but what about for someone who's just stating something that they feel is right or correct?

Is it our place to post something correcting them?

Lets assume that any response given is a well thought out reply and it's courteous and not disrespectful for the purposes of this discussion. I.E. the only perceived negative would be that the reply is basically pointing out an error in some way.

Also, if something is a fact that someone posts and it's incorrect, that's really not what I mean. I mean if someone asks what a gallon of water weighs and someone else posts the wrong weight, of course you would correct that. I'm talking more about things in regards to a diet plan or an exercise regimen (or what ever).

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Of course. I think that posting something automatically gives anyone the right to state disagreement. It's what you risk by stating your opinions to mostly total strangers.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I think it's ok to correct someone when you know/think it's wrong. I wouldn't want to read something and believe it to be true, apply it to myself or see others do it only to find out it's false!
  • I agree, as you said, it's a public forum. Plus, if you leave their incorrect post unchallenged, then others may believe it and base their actions on it in error.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Of course it's ok :) I would want to corrected politely if I was dead wrong about something and was putting it out there for other people to see. I think if you know something is wrong you should correct it before other people take the wrong information and use it themselves.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I feel the whole point of a threaded discussion is to allow varied viewpoints - and to point out inaccuracies or outright errors. Some of the ideas / views are definitely opinion, not fact - so those you have to read and judge on your own beliefs. I've kind of figured out already who I trust and who's on the fringe. You have corrected me before, and I did not resent it at all - I kind of appreciated it...
  • SHBoss1673
    ah ha! But that's what I mean, what if some people believe it to be true, but others don't and it wasn't a question asked, just a statement given.

like for instance, if someone were to say something like (and I'm going to be absolutely ridiculous here so I don't step on any toes)

"I use twinkies for half my calories because I have the room in my diet, and it's only about calories in vs calories out for me."

Now most of us are pretty sure that eating half your diet in twinkies is not a very good diet plan, but then again, the statement above wasn't telling anyone else what to eat, nor was it asking if this is ok. Is it really our place to say, "Um, eating half your diet in twinkies is not good."

this is an outrageous example to prove a point, many times the posts are much more subtle than this. But still they are in error. Is it right to point this out? I don't know, I go back and forth all the time about this in my head. I want to help, but they weren't asking for help, and is it really any of my business?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i think so. Thereare tactful ways of doing it which sometimes I'll admit I'm not always showing.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    I think it's fine to say something, and to avoid stepping on toes, you could say IMO or something along those lines.

There is a danger to leaving something that you know to be blatantly incorrect "out there" without challenging it. And frankly, those are the people who are giving advice to new people (that you know to be wrong) and then start threads wondering why they plateau eating half their calories in Twinkies.
  • SHBoss1673
    I think it's fine to say something, and to avoid stepping on toes, you could say IMO or something along those lines.

There is a danger to leaving something that you know to be blatantly incorrect "out there" without challenging it. And frankly, those are the people who are giving advice to new people (that you know to be wrong) and then start threads wondering why they plateau eating half their calories in Twinkies.

I agree with incorrect statements out there. But I pointed out above that I'm not talking about blatently incorrect statements. These are generally less obvious problems, or issues that are applicable to only a small amount of people (the poster and maybe a few others), things that others may not even recognize as a wrong statement at all.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member

Now most of us are pretty sure that eating half your diet in twinkies is not a very good diet plan, but then again, the statement above wasn't telling anyone else what to eat, nor was it asking if this is ok. Is it really our place to say, "Um, eating half your diet in twinkies is not good."

I think, given that it is a public forum that we can assume that things people are saying could potentially be used by another user to make or justify their own decisions. Therefore I whole-heartedly support the right to object (respectfully) to something that somebody else has said, even if it doesn't specify the information as 'advice for others'.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    If you are posting something on this public forum, it invites replies - whether asked for or not. You could always preface it by adding IMHO which you do often. I don't believe people should think your trying to be a know it all - and no matter what is said, people will believe what they want - ignoring science and studies and choosing to go with what they believe to be true.

I've actually learned much about nutrition - clean eating, HIIT, ect.. that I did not have a clue about before. I take the info from here, then go off and investigate it on my own through other reliable sources.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member

I agree with incorrect statements out there. But I pointed out above that I'm not talking about blatently incorrect statements. These are generally less obvious problems, or issues that are applicable to only a small amount of people (the poster and maybe a few others), things that others may not even recognize as a wrong statement at all.

Well then you could acknowledge that while it might work for the poster (and possibly only short term), the majority of the population would find a different direction more beneficial.

I'd like to believe that since we're all adults and weight loss is far from an exact science (as in what will work for one person will unquestionably work for every single person), as long as it's stated respectfully, should be acceptable.
  • SHBoss1673
    See lil, there's my dillema. I agree that the board is public, and in spirit we should all be allowed to respectfully object to a post or it's replies, but then again, is it respectful to call someone out in public for a plan that they are implementing for themself and not subjecting to others. Especially when they aren't asking whether that plan is correct or not? On some level it's going to be demoralizing to that person, if for no other reason than just basically saying "you're wrong" to them. Even if they ARE wrong.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Yeah, I think you should say something - maybe in a generalized way - but there are A LOT of hot topic items on the boards & some people just aren't going to listen to reasoning. You can talk until you are blue in the face & some people won't listen. :grumble:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    As long as you can back up your disagreeing statement, and show them proof as to why you disagree, it might prevent drama. I know a lot of people are taking everything they read at face value, but sometimes that's the danger. If you can disprove what the post said with fun facts and the dangers of believing everything you read, than you're in the right. I don't agree with people being mean and just saying "no you're wrong, that's stupid" without giving me proof as to why I'm wrong, or what you based your opinion on (personal experience, etc).
  • SHBoss1673

Well then you could acknowledge that while it might work for the poster (and possibly only short term), the majority of the population would find a different direction more beneficial.

I'd like to believe that since we're all adults and weight loss is far from an exact science (as in what will work for one person will unquestionably work for every single person), as long as it's stated respectfully, should be acceptable.

LOL, you haven't been on MFP long enough then :tongue:

there are arguments and hurt feelings all the time on the boards.
  • SHBoss1673
    If you are posting something on this public forum, it invites replies - whether asked for or not. You could always preface it by adding IMHO which you do often. I don't believe people should think your trying to be a know it all - and no matter what is said, people will believe what they want - ignoring science and studies and choosing to go with what they believe to be true.

I've actually learned much about nutrition - clean eating, HIIT, ect.. that I did not have a clue about before. I take the info from here, then go off and investigate it on my own through other reliable sources.

what if they weren't the original poster. Just responding to something someone said above? Then all they are doing is responding to someone else. And not really looking for people to critique them. I'm not asking if it's valid to post, just whether it's "right".
  • SHBoss1673
    FYI, the reason why I ask this guys, is because this is usually how arguments on the boards start. With well meaning replies to statements made for no other reason than to help out an original poster. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either side of it. I've done both, so I just wanted it out there.
  • SHBoss1673
    As long as you can back up your disagreeing statement, and show them proof as to why you disagree, it might prevent drama. I know a lot of people are taking everything they read at face value, but sometimes that's the danger. If you can disprove what the post said with fun facts and the dangers of believing everything you read, than you're in the right. I don't agree with people being mean and just saying "no you're wrong, that's stupid" without giving me proof as to why I'm wrong, or what you based your opinion on (personal experience, etc).

ah, there's the rub though. What you may consider kind and thoughtful, someone else, for what ever reason may consider rude and inconsiderate (it's happened to me before). So what's the solution? Sometimes the true meaning doesn't come out until pages later when feelings are hurt and the damage is done. That's why I ask the question.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    "I use twinkies for half my calories because I have the room in my diet, and it's only about calories in vs calories out for me."
This discussion has been closed.