Met Short-term Goal. Vaca Over. Now What?

Options
Okay, so I've been on this site for the past year or so and thus far, I've slowly and consistently lost weight. I've enjoyed everything about it. Throughout my journey the goal has been to eat healthy, exercise more, lose some excess weight, get toned and overall health. And it is working! :happy:

I had this goal of 135 pounds for my vacation at the beginning of February and I met it. I was actually a little under. So I went on vacation so proud that I felt more toned and confident in my bikini. (The vaca was my vain short term goal) :laugh:

Now I'm back. Now what? I've watched my calories and taken care of myself, but I haven't exercised one lick. And part of my reasoning/excuse is that I have been very busy since I've gotten back. But I used to love to go to the gym 4-5 times a week!

I feel so good about where I am now in my weight and I've also stayed the same since Feb. 1st. So it's like my mind is saying... .. you did good and you are staying the same weight- that's enough.

I've lost my motivation to push myself and get more tone and fit and reach my final goal of 130.
So what happened?

I was wondering if there was anybody else that this happened to out there and if you can offer any friendly advice?
Or maybe kick my butt and tell me to get to work!!! :laugh:

Thanks, MFP and it's members are awesome! :bigsmile:

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar boat. I never achieved the level of leanness and fitness that I really wanted, but I got to pretty reasonable shape, and then poof, I stopped exercising. One day led to one week, to one month, to two months, etc. At first I continued to lose weight, but after some time I was gaining again, muscles were shrinking, didn't feel as good. I felt guilty any time I caught a glimpse of the treadmill or the weights.

I would suggest that you make a new goal and go for it. The thing with goals is, once you get there, it's easy for your mind to think, "ok done!" and then you stop. You've got to set a new goal. Without goals, there is nothing to work towards. I know in advance my next 2 goals: 1. get to < 10% body fat percentage. 2. build up 10 lbs of muscle. After that we'll see.

For your amusement, here's what finally kicked my butt back into gear after my hiatus... I went out to lunch with coworkers, and ordered something that came with a big plate of fries. I ate them all. I felt so full and gross. I couldn't shake that feeling. I still had it the next day. That day I got home from work and got right on the treadmill. I felt compelled. And like that, *poof*, I was back in the game. But you don't have to wait till you feel nasty like I did before you pick up where you left off. :flowerforyou:
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi.....I know all about losing your motivation because I've lost mine a couple of times. I'm almost 52 yrs old and have gained a lot of weight over the last 12 years so I decided once and for all it was time to get serious and lose this weight and then find a way to maintain it; this site is wonderful for that! So far I've lost 23 lbs in the 8 wks that I've been exercising and watching my food intake. I don't know what your schedule is like but for me I like to do my exercise first thing in the morning before I have time to talk myself out of it...lol. I switch up my exercise routine everyday, which keeps it fresh for me. I do boxing, weights, pilates, bowflex, Tae Bo, step aerobics, Biggest Loser and many more and I want to start doing Zumba soon! I definitely think variety is the way to keep yourself motivated and also age can be a motivator too. The older you get the harder it is to get back into shape.....believe me I know....lol. I wish you well and I know you can do it......now get to work young lady!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I think I'm going to start with an immediate goal right off the bat.

Goal: Do some form of exercise tonight. I have a meeting, but I think if I go right after it, it will be relaxing and make me feel better :happy:

For some reason I can't get there in time, I'm going to do something at the house. Yoga or some jogging in place. Just something to keep myself moving. Gotta start somewhere, but I think the key is starting asap and not waiting.

Thanks again for your time! :smile: