Smoking...

Options
Hi all! I am doing well so far and have lost 41 pounds, 13 in the four weeks I have been here. I am getting quite into the gym and exercising but finding it hard to really push it after about 15 years of smoking. I know giving up would be the absolute best thing to do health wise but I am petrified of gaining any weight back or stalling in the weight loss. Just wondered if anyone out there has successfully managed to combine quitting with losing weight and if so, how did you manage? Or is it best to do them separately? Thanks for your thoughts..... x

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a couple years ago and increased my time at the gym (worked out during lunch, walked on my breaks, worked out after work, etc...). I coupled that with the patch or nicotine gum. That really helped me avoid packing on any pounds due to quitting smoking. I did pick it back up but I read somewhere that it takes about 7 tries to quit smoking before it really sticks. I plan on using the same method I did before to help me quit smoking (yet again). LOL
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking when I was about a month into maintenance because I felt that I only wanted to tackle one thing at a time (I'm at six months, no ciggies, now!) I was also very nervous about gaining weight, but with MFP and logging my food, I didn't put on any weight. I think that as long as you're tracking and logging your food intake, it should be just fine. I had a stage where I was going through more sugarfree gum than I would have liked, but I've weaned myself off that now.

Good luck!
  • doramouse
    Options
    Quitting smoking has so many benefits - which I know you know. I quit about 8 years ago and while I gained about 10 or so lbs at the time I wasn't exercising at all back then. i was careful not to use it as an excuse to eat a bunch more. I used well-butrin to quit which helped a lot. I "cheated" for about the first year but after than - ugh, smoking to me is pretty icky.

Talk to your doctor maybe about your concerns?

You can increase the exercise to combat the weight gain - you might gain a couple pounds but think of the long term on this one.
    Just my two cents.
    GOOD LUCK!