Anyone else feel as though you have to defend your weight lo

Options
2»

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    Options
    I once got down to 123 pounds and people kept telling me I was too thin. It really bothered me. Especially because I didn't mean to lose weight, I was diagnosed with crohns disease. Would you go up to someone and say "Hey, you're too fat!" It still hurts your feelings. People don't think when they say things sometimes. Just stop telling people your weight and that you plan to lose more. It's no one elces buisness anyway!!
  • Nicolekp
    Nicolekp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good for you for continuing even when there is only negative support. If it is your friends and Family then sure you can try to expain it to them. My suggestion would be to tell them that you arae aware of what is healthy and unhealthy in your progress and that you have done the research to prove your doing what is right. Also you could tell them that while they think they are showing concern they are making you feel bad and that you would appreciate it if they would support your decision and say way to go for the hard work you have already done. You are doing fantastic. Don't worry about what they say, you know the saying 'Be a Duck' let it roll off your back. Keep up the good work.
  • SueLaboo
    Options
    WOWWWWW!!! And this is why I LOVE this place! lol

Why do we always feel like we're alone in our crazy little worlds? Then we find out we're not! Thanks you guys! You have some pretty amazing stories. You are all true inspirations!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. "But you look great! You don't need to lose any weight."

I thank them for what they say, and take it as a compliment, but I'm not yet where I want to be or how I want to feel. I'm the one living in this body, and I'm going to make it what I want it to be.

However, I'm guilty of doing the same thing. I have a gorgeous niece who exercises like a fiend, and talks about losing weight, and I look at her and say, "From where?!"
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I weight 112 lbs 5'2 and I keep saying I want to tone everyones like no you don't need to. I think most of it is lack of knowledge and usually it's because the person saying that is bigger and feels guilty about themselves. Most people are jealous of success.
  • JudoJones
    Options
    I believe their negative comments are derrived from their own insecurity. To admit that you look good small means they have to look at themselves.

You don't have to say anything to them, they already now the truth even if they don't want to admit it.

Congrats on the weight loss & the healthy lifestyle!
    scott
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that from a few people as well... "Don't lose too much weight", "You don't need to lose any more weight" etc.

Generally this comes from people who could do with losing a few pounds themselves :laugh:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    When I was 117kg, I told people around me my ideal weight should be a little under 90kg and many people at that time said I'd look like a stick if I got down that far.

I'm now 99 and the same people are saying that yes, I'm thinner/lighter, but still wobbly in places and could lose a bit more.

I think it helps to grab handfuls of flab and show it to anyone who thinks you haven't go any more to lose!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    See below...I hit the wrong button and entered too soon :o)
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Agreed on just about everything said so far! It's the last few pounds that seem to be the hardest to lose and what makes it harder is this negative support! ARGH! I especially agree with the person who said these comments usually come from people who may have a few pounds to lose themselves...they're most likely jealous of your commitment and success on top of it. You go girl! Keep going and maybe someday you'll find out you've inspired everyone around you to be healthier :)
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ooops, hit the wrong button :o)

I think they probably mean to be supportive...they're congratulating you and telling you you look great now! Enjoy that part of it.

You are probably right, that 130 is a very fair goal. What weight will be right for you really depends on your frame and body composition. Makes all the difference in how you carry your pounds, you know? Do your thing, and see where you feel happy and fit. But do listen to others too, when I first dropped all my weight, going from 175 to 105-107 at 5'3", I heard CONSTANTLY that I was too skinny. And they were right. I didn't realize until I gained back about 10lbs that I was getting sick all the time at the lower weight and I really did need to add back some body fat. I think when you hit the right weight, you'll know it. Don't focus just on the numbers. That being said, I don't think 130 will be a bad goal.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My husband has been super supportive, but my mom wanted me to promise not "go crazy with this weight loss thing." Where do you think I got all those bad habits from?

You are doing this for you, stay focused on being healthy, loving yourself and being comfortable in your own skin!
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get it too, I agree with tango - it's never slim people that say it!
  • nannabur4
    Options
    The very same thing happened to me before! I was at 130 and had 5 pounds left. Same thing, they kept filling my head with all of their complaints. I'm 5'2 so I know EXACTLY where your coming from. I just told them nicely but bluntly at the same time, that it was my choice and if they didn't have anything positive to say then I would rather them keep their opinions to themselfs. Good job on the weight loss!! Keep up the good work.
  • SueLaboo
    Options
    When I was 117kg, I told people around me my ideal weight should be a little under 90kg and many people at that time said I'd look like a stick if I got down that far.

I'm now 99 and the same people are saying that yes, I'm thinner/lighter, but still wobbly in places and could lose a bit more.

I think it helps to grab handfuls of flab and show it to anyone who thinks you haven't go any more to lose!

Hahaha!!! Too funny! :)
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    does anyone else ever want to rip of his/her clothes to show these idiots exactly what you're talking about?? i may not be heavy by most standards, but being my age and after having 5 kids, things just aren't where they're supposed to be anymore. and are certainly "softer". so please don't tell me i don't need to lose anymore weight or don't have to work out. i'll slap you with my *kitten* cheek - and trust me, it'll reach.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the negative is encouragement cause it makes me remember that noone can take this from me- why is healthy such a taboo topic now. My husband(he doesn't care about weight and defends that he was raised on sugar and fried food and he's fine) got alittle upset at lunch yesterday cause that was the topic- my mom and friend asked advice- maybe eventually positive thinking will spread to everyone.
    does anyone else ever want to rip of his/her clothes to show these idiots exactly what you're talking about?? i may not be heavy by most standards, but being my age and after having 5 kids, things just aren't where they're supposed to be anymore. and are certainly "softer". so please don't tell me i don't need to lose anymore weight or don't have to work out. i'll slap you with my *kitten* cheek - and trust me, it'll reach.

slimmerchick
    Joined Jan 2011
    Thu 02/24/11 01:17 PM
    Yeah I get it too, I agree with tango - it's never slim people that say it!

I've lost 35 lbs since July 10 and am here to keep it off!
    Report Post Quote Reply
    too funny and very much agree!!!!