Need some help ..........

mistyb47711
mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
So does anyone have any advice on someone that works 3rd shift...Should I eat breakfast then go to sleep and get up eat lunch then dinner then workout? I knowright now Im not getting all my meals in which leaves me hungry late at night or early in the morning. Like now I just got up andate breakfast.....then its dinner......IDK how to even this all out. Thanks!!

Replies

• bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    i would see a trainer or a doctor and explain this to them and and amybe even wear a hrm to see when you are burning the most calories
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Oh this is a hard one, I am PRN at my job and worked 3rd shift last sun night, I ended up eating in the middle of the night, eating breakfast then sleeping and eating dinner. That is a hard eating schedule to conquer, but I have been a 3rd shifter and I would usually have something small before I went to sleep during the day, I would wake and workout, then would eat a nice dinner, and a lunch at my 3am break. Good luck! Hope this helps!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    I would see a nutrionist (if you have Kaiser they're included in your plan) and since they specialize in this, they would know best.
  • when i did it i started my day when i woke up. a day is 24 hours that does not need to line up with the sun. sleep when you do wake up and start the day.
  • I think, in this case, that you shouldn't worry about what time of the day you are eating your meals. I think you should take your day and treat it just like any other day. Do you eat before you go to bed? Well, then that would be your dinner. If you go to sleep soon after coming home, I would keep it light. When you get up, get your breakfast, and then eat lunch when you are at work. It doesn't matter what category the meal actually falls into (based on time of day), its in getting a rhythm so that you don't miss meals.

Hope this helps!
  • dconner13
    dconner13 Posts: 25 Member
    when i did it i started my day when i woke up. a day is 24 hours that does not need to line up with the sun. sleep when you do wake up and start the day.

I agree. Don't compare it to a "traditional" day. When you wake up is breakfast and so on.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    I worked nights for years. What I found worked the best for me was to start my 'day' at midnight and run for 24 hours. I quit calling my meals breakfast, lunch and dinner and renamed them meal 1,2,3 and etc. I also ate 6 small meals a day instead of the traditional 3 + snack which cut down on the sugar cravings at 3am. I usually would go to the gym after work before I went to bed - helped me sleep better. I also cut myself a little slack on the day I went back to work as my calories in were usually higher than my goal; this was made up for on the first day off where I slept for the best part of 24 hours and was under my calories. This worked for me for years - in fact it was only after I moved to day shift I started gaining weight!!
This discussion has been closed.