children with egg allergy

Options
tamrajd
tamrajd Posts: 86
I was just reading past recipes and saw the soda cake, ive made this alot for special occasions for my daughter with egg allergies. the pancake idea is great . i'll have to try that one.
my daughter is highly allergic to the extreme if i peel eggs and touch her to soon she will have a reaction. it takes several times of hand washings to get all the oils out. we found this out last thanksgiving the hard way. I never have talked to other parents with the same egg allergy. Do any of your kids have exzema? the dr said children born with severe exzema are almost always allergic to eggs. i found that very interesting.
sorry for posting this here, i guess it should have been somewhere eles.

Replies

• tamrajd
    Options
    I was just reading past recipes and saw the soda cake, ive made this alot for special occasions for my daughter with egg allergies. the pancake idea is great . i'll have to try that one.
    my daughter is highly allergic to the extreme if i peel eggs and touch her to soon she will have a reaction. it takes several times of hand washings to get all the oils out. we found this out last thanksgiving the hard way. I never have talked to other parents with the same egg allergy. Do any of your kids have exzema? the dr said children born with severe exzema are almost always allergic to eggs. i found that very interesting.
    sorry for posting this here, i guess it should have been somewhere eles.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    My brother (12) has severe exzema over 70% of his body and has since 8 months, but doesn't have any food allergies. However, and the reason for my reply, my father has a terrible allergic reaction to tomato, another common food. Myself, I am celery intolerant-- which isn't an allergy, but rather a sensitivity to a molecule in celery.

When eating out, always ask that her food be prepared on a clean cooking surface in case the person before her had a meal containing eggs. My parents keep a non-tomato pan, etc, so that you don't have to worry at home, too.

As for egg substitutes, there are tons out there. Some of them quite healthy, too. Assuming the recipe would allow for it, my fav is banana.

From what I hear, a lot of kids grow out of their egg allergies, so hopefully you won't have to do this forever.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    My nephew has always had bad eczema and he is allergic to eggs, milk, nuts, and whole wheat. Our whole family eats together every Sunday so I've had experience coming up with recipes and substitutes that he can have. He loves the cupcakes made with cake mix (just check the package - Duncan Hines usually is safe) and a can of pumpkin. I make these for him a lot with sprinkles on top and it earns me serious aunt points. :smile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My son has a severe egg allergy, so we do not keep anythign with egg in it in the house at all. My son also has eczema (diagnosed with severe, however we manage with bathing & emollients so it keeps under good control. My daughter also has eczema, as did my husband and I as children (we still get a flare every now and then).

If you tell me where you are needing an egg substitute, I can recommend some things.

Does your daughter still have eczema? A great resource is www.eczemahelp.ca and also the National Eczema Association for support in the US.

:flowerforyou:
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    My son has severe food allergies (peanut, egg, dairy, apple, pea, chocolate, oat) and we have found that egg replacement is AMAZING. You can find it at a whole foods or good earth store - it's expensive but WORTH IT. It's powdered and comes in a box. Great to use for baking, etc. When used for cooking and baking the foods taste exactly the same.

He had severe eczema on his face and my baby daughter does now as well. Good luck with the allergies. Let me know if you need any support! I've been there!
  • AJCM
    Options
    My son has severe food allergies (peanut, egg, dairy, apple, pea, chocolate, oat) and we have found that egg replacement is AMAZING. You can find it at a whole foods or good earth store - it's expensive but WORTH IT. It's powdered and comes in a box. Great to use for baking, etc. When used for cooking and baking the foods taste exactly the same.

He had severe eczema on his face and my baby daughter does now as well. Good luck with the allergies. Let me know if you need any support! I've been there!

Yes - I love that egg replacement - we buy the Pano Riso. It is $7 for a small box, however it replaces 100 eggs! That's $0.07 per egg, and you sure don't get a dozen eggs for $0.84!!!

I feel your pain on the allergies (although you are probably like us, and you are so used to it, that it isn't a big deal at all anymore). What do you use to dip veggies into? My kids are getting a bit sick of the constant stream of hummus, meal after meal! We bought the Veganaise, but haven't used it yet.

My son is allergice to peanut, tree nuts, eggs, barley, sesame and my daughter to dairy. Have you had to use epinephrine (we have Epi Pen Jr)? We came close once (the day we found out he was anaphylactic to sesame!) but double Benadryl en route to the ER seemed to do the trick. Ugh.
  • bellmom627
    Options

Yes - I love that egg replacement - we buy the Pano Riso. It is $7 for a small box, however it replaces 100 eggs! That's $0.07 per egg, and you sure don't get a dozen eggs for $0.84!!!

I feel your pain on the allergies (although you are probably like us, and you are so used to it, that it isn't a big deal at all anymore). What do you use to dip veggies into? My kids are getting a bit sick of the constant stream of hummus, meal after meal! We bought the Veganaise, but haven't used it yet.

My son is allergice to peanut, tree nuts, eggs, barley, sesame and my daughter to dairy. Have you had to use epinephrine (we have Epi Pen Jr)? We came close once (the day we found out he was anaphylactic to sesame!) but double Benadryl en route to the ER seemed to do the trick. Ugh.

We haven't used the EpiPen yet, but he has been to the hospital twice for peanut stuff. The first time was how we found out he had the allergy - he ate a peanut butter cracker and threw up and broke out and yeah - very scary stuff. The second time there was a sub at his daycare and instead of giving him the alternate snack she gave him peanut butter. He didn't know it (he's only 3 1/2 but VERY good about knowing what he can and can't eat). He took one bite and spit it out, freaked out, yelled at the teacher, the whole nine yards. They called us and I rushed to the daycare and took him straight to the hospital. Probably should have used the Epi that second time since we actually had one to use, but I just wasn't sure - kind of frozen in the moment.

Either way, yeah, we're used to it now, I hardly even think about it. He's very picky, so he won't dip veggies - he dips everything else though (in orange juice - no CLUE why)!
  • AJCM
    Options

We haven't used the EpiPen yet, but he has been to the hospital twice for peanut stuff. The first time was how we found out he had the allergy - he ate a peanut butter cracker and threw up and broke out and yeah - very scary stuff. The second time there was a sub at his daycare and instead of giving him the alternate snack she gave him peanut butter. He didn't know it (he's only 3 1/2 but VERY good about knowing what he can and can't eat). He took one bite and spit it out, freaked out, yelled at the teacher, the whole nine yards. They called us and I rushed to the daycare and took him straight to the hospital. Probably should have used the Epi that second time since we actually had one to use, but I just wasn't sure - kind of frozen in the moment.

Either way, yeah, we're used to it now, I hardly even think about it. He's very picky, so he won't dip veggies - he dips everything else though (in orange juice - no CLUE why)!

Very scary about the peanuts - sorry to hear that. Everytime they are exposed, the allergy typically becomes more severe. I hope you blasted that daycare! (well not blasted, but explained that maybe they shouldn't have PB on site). I'm guessing you are not in Ontario? Sabrina's law was passed, and no school or daycare can have peanut or treenut product of any kind in the building. Period.

So funny about your son dipping in OJ!!!! MY son does the exact same thing (he's born Jan '05). He dips chicken, veggies, crackers, bread etc. I think the foods I serve (usually without any sauces or dressings) might be a bit dry! Oh well, he loves dipped in his beverage!).
  • bellmom627
    Options

Very scary about the peanuts - sorry to hear that. Everytime they are exposed, the allergy typically becomes more severe. I hope you blasted that daycare! (well not blasted, but explained that maybe they shouldn't have PB on site). I'm guessing you are not in Ontario? Sabrina's law was passed, and no school or daycare can have peanut or treenut product of any kind in the building. Period.

So funny about your son dipping in OJ!!!! MY son does the exact same thing (he's born Jan '05). He dips chicken, veggies, crackers, bread etc. I think the foods I serve (usually without any sauces or dressings) might be a bit dry! Oh well, he loves dipped in his beverage!).

So cute about the dipping!

I know about the next exposure stuff. It's so scary. The daycare is now peanut free :happy: I'm a SAHM now, but I was SUPREMELY upset about how they handled the situation.

That's amazing about Sabrina's Law, and no, I'm in the US. :frown:
  • AJCM
    Options

So cute about the dipping!

I know about the next exposure stuff. It's so scary. The daycare is now peanut free :happy: I'm a SAHM now, but I was SUPREMELY upset about how they handled the situation.

That's amazing about Sabrina's Law, and no, I'm in the US. :frown:

Yeah - I feel better with the "no nut" situation. The sad part is that Sabrina's law was started by her parents, after she died of anaphylaxis eating lunch in the school cafeteria. The cafeteria worker touched her fries with tongs that had been used to touch cheese, and she died. It is heartbreaking, but her parents have a website with her story - it is worth a visit. I sent it to all my close friends and family, and helped to give them a new perspective on the severity of the situation.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Have any of you looked at this site?

http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/

http://www.foodallergy.org/recipes.html

It is free and when you sign up you can put in all of your allergies and it will list recipes that fit your needs. It might give you some different ideas. I found recently and although it is not as complete as I would like it does have some different ideas and is a good resource .
  • AJCM
    Options
    Have any of you looked at this site?

http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/

http://www.foodallergy.org/recipes.html

It is free and when you sign up you can put in all of your allergies and it will list recipes that fit your needs. It might give you some different ideas. I found recently and although it is not as complete as I would like it does have some different ideas and is a good resource .

Thank you! That is so toughtful of you!
  • Eve23
    Options
    It really isn't anything:blushing:

Though I am not aware of an egg allergy in our family. We do have issues with dairy, corn, barly, gluten and try to limit soy. We are continuisly trying to find ways to cook new things. Good luck.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My nephew has always had bad eczema and he is allergic to eggs, milk, nuts, and whole wheat. Our whole family eats together every Sunday so I've had experience coming up with recipes and substitutes that he can have. He loves the cupcakes made with cake mix (just check the package - Duncan Hines usually is safe) and a can of pumpkin. I make these for him a lot with sprinkles on top and it earns me serious aunt points. :smile:

Cake mix with Pumpkin is so good. I prefer yellow mix (low sugar) but that is just me. Good luck with finding healthy and tasty subsitutions. I dealt with milk allergies when I was young, so I know that it is very difficult
  • AJCM
    Options

Cake mix with Pumpkin is so good. I prefer yellow mix (low sugar) but that is just me. Good luck with finding healthy and tasty subsitutions. I dealt with milk allergies when I was young, so I know that it is very difficult

Did you out grow the milk allergy? I'm just curious, as my daughter has a severe milk allergy (at 17 months) and my fingers are crossed that she will outgrow it!
    :smile:
  • Eve23
    Options
    I don't know about others. But I outgrew the severity for a time while I was a teenager. But the last several years it has been giving me more and more problems. I think the key thing is to be aware of any symptoms you might be having or in this case your daughter.
  • tamrajd
    Options
    With the recipe that you add a can of pumkin to the cake mix, does that make the cake taste like pumpkin?
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have lived with egg and many other allergies as well as eczema and asthma for the last 47 years. When I was little they used to put a tent over my bed so I could breath and put socks on my hands so I couldn't scratch as efficiently. No one understood just how allergic I was! Most of my childhood pictures show the redness and the broken skin. It was easier for me to tell the people what I was not allergic to at school rather than go down the list. Many times, well meaning people simply did not believe me or my parents. I didn't come close to an egg until I was 12 years old when I ate my first 3 Musketeers bar. It was a moment to remember. :laugh:
    I may eat an egg now and again at this point in my life, but I don't really want them. I can eat some things with eggs in them now. I still have an acute allergy to peanuts. I can walk in a room and if someone has opened a peanut product I can tell.
    My eczema is well controlled with a lotion called DML Moisterizing Lotion. I got it from behind the pharmacy counter at Wallmart. It is Non-comedogenic, that is, it is not likely to cause little pimples and infections that often occur.
    My heart goes out to you and your little person. I wish you the greatest success as you work hard at being a wonderful parent. :happy:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Did you out grow the milk allergy? I'm just curious, as my daughter has a severe milk allergy (at 17 months) and my fingers are crossed that she will outgrow it!
    :smile:

My 2nd daughter was allergic to all forms of cow milk - she was colicky as a baby, threw up often, rash on her face, etc. We switched to almond milk, soy butter and all that stuff when she was a year old. Then gradually started adding dairy back in her diet when she was a toddler. Now she is 7, and eats anything - no allergic reactions. My mom said I was the same - so we "grew out" of our allergy, but I think the exposure to dairy to slowly build up the production of lactase enzyme played an important role in our situations. I'm sure your dr can give u a better prediction for your daughter, as well as recommendations - I definitely think there is hope :smile: