Angry! Your messing up the food database!!

Options

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    oh me too!!! It drives me NUTS!!

Also people put diet coke as having NO calories when it does! A regular 330ml can of diet coke has 4 calories, I know that there is some weird thing in the states that says calories below a certain level per serving don't have to be shown, but we are all counting calories folks, and if people think that diet drinks have no calories then they are WRONG!

Also serving size drives me mad too, as they often say cups (meaningless to me and most people on this side of the pond) and some people put 'serving' also meaningless, put a weight please, then it becomes useful to everyone.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for this post - Im still quite new and I didnt know that people were putting down wrong info!

I did notice the other day somethng came up as 10 calories when really it should of being over 100 calories but thought it was just a typing error - shame on all those confusng us new folk!!

Thanks for the heads up!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Also, anything you EDIT will then be in "MY FOODS" - - easy to find.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    DB definatly needs a good cleaning. Is there a way to sort by # of confirmations or whether it was add by an MFP member?

I was thinking the same thing!!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    User entries should have to be approved first. That's one thing that surprised me about this site - I think it's ok (and necessary) for people to be able to enter their own info, but for that info to automatically show up when I search is a little wacky. Most foods only have "user entry" options. Isn't there anything in this website's database that wasn't created by us?!
  • EecakYelsom17
    Options
    agree i know little to none about nutritional value in foods. if i have a label and what i search doesnt compare i just quick add the calories. and if i have no clue how many calories, since there are so many that say the same thing but different calories i just click whichever says the most calories.... only because like i said im ignorant on what the truth is and id rather not over eat my calories.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The MFP entered food items (without asteriks) need to be at the top of every search.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    it's equally frustrating for those of us that don't use products and have to sift through the database to find things like "carrot" or "the worst i think was "butter" i hate adding butter because there are a bunch of other bullcocky things in front of it that i can't even imagine eating.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...I wanted to put in sunkist fruit snacks to day with are 80 calories and all of them had 90 and way more sodium then they should have. Now I am worried when I put things in that they aren't right.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Isn't there anything in this website's database that wasn't created by us?!

Yes.

The site administrator has entered all basic food items - and they are entered correctly, and with all the nutrients and varying measurement choices. For instance, I prefer to use grams instead of ounces, and I track Potassium. Most people are entering their foods with ounces or cups and no one enters Potassium.

To find the site admin's entries, type in your description, and scroll through the database and look for items with no asterisk ( * ) in front of them. The site admin and your "My Foods" will both appear this way. You will know they are correct! That's the benefit to the search database function, in my opinion.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to run into this problem very often. But don't get so angry. Some are mistakes and some probably were correct when they were first entered. The nutrition labeling on packaged foods does change from time to time, new recipes, changes in serving sizes, etc.. You will just have to verify everything the first time. After that you should be good to go.

There is no way a food can jump from 50 calories (by mistake) and actually be 210 on a label. That is just crazy to me. A small change of 10, 20, 30 calories I can understand but when you have jumps of 100's that is just flat out wrong on purpose.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I remember one of my first days here, I had a cup of red grapes. I measured it out and was sure that I had a cup. So I enter it in and the first one I come across that had "cup" said that my cup of grapes had 8 calories. So I was pretty new so I used that one because hey it could be right -- it's healthy so not a lot of calories, right? But then I thought about the sugar, so it bothered me all the way to work and then googled it when I arrived at work. Apparently my cup of grapes had closer to 100 calories than 8. WTF is that??
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I remember one of my first days here, I had a cup of red grapes. I measured it out and was sure that I had a cup. So I enter it in and the first one I come across that had "cup" said that my cup of grapes had 8 calories. So I was pretty new so I used that one because hey it could be right -- it's healthy so not a lot of calories, right? But then I thought about the sugar, so it bothered me all the way to work and then googled it when I arrived at work. Apparently my cup of grapes had closer to 100 calories than 8. WTF is that??

Yup that is what I am talking about.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I have come seen fried chicken, double cheeseburgers, homemade hash browns, and asian stir fry with noodles all entered in with NO CARBS!! Yeah, right!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree more, If I enter a food onto the database its because I have the manufacturers nutritional info right before me. I make sure I add the brand and the exact name so there can be no mistakes. Before adding a food to my diary that I dont have the info for I double/triple/quadruple check on all the calorie counting sites that do have the info. I know diet cheats are everywhere but on here they're not only fooling themselves!

Mike, if you are reading this, I'd be willing to volunteer some of my time deleting multiple or incorrect entries. There has to be a way of doing this
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think country to country may vary ,plus I think some people new to this site may not look at the package size as I cant see anyone entering the wrong info just to keep their diary down ,it is time consumming looking through loads of stuff .
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I have come seen fried chicken, double cheeseburgers, homemade hash browns, and asian stir fry with noodles all entered in with NO CARBS!! Yeah, right!!

It's possible that the person entering it isn't watching their carbs...

When I first joined, I didn't realize that I could enter my own recipes and/or foods and *not* share them, so I have a few things in the data base. I'm really only watching my calories so that's all I entered--entirely possible that it's the same thing with some of those others.

Now that I know better, I save recipes for my use only and if I add something to the database, I make sure that I add everything on the nutritional label.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    DB definatly needs a good cleaning. Is there a way to sort by # of confirmations or whether it was add by an MFP member?

I've asked for this.... No response from the developers :(

I am the admin for a similar style database/website system at my work. In my experience, a large database cleansing and data verifying like this would take 100's of man (or woman) hours. That is very expensive. I don't know if it would be feasible to keep this site free and have that done. Plus as long as anyone can make entries, a data cleansing would only be for a while before everything gets mucked up again.

:flowerforyou: I think the site is great, but since it is free I don't expect it to be perfect. :flowerforyou:
  • dawn2154
    dawn2154 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    im sitting with a can of diet coke and the nutritional info says it contains 1 calorie is it different cos i live in the uk?
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options

ahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!! yeah right!! :laugh: