I'm so pi$$ed!!!

kathrynarnold
kathrynarnold Posts: 69
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So I made this amazing breakfast burrito. 1 large egg, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 2/3 cup JD crumbled sausage, wrapped in a flour tortilla. (made using all portion sizes).

Well I go on the Jimmy Dean website, and find out that they make the crumbles in TURKEY sausage!! WTF?! Ok, so I go and check the calories, only 90 cal per serving and the original sausage crumbles are 210!! Now I'm really upset right...

I go to the "product finder" and put in my zip code, and guess what?! They don't have the turkey sausage product available in my area!!

Needless to say, I'm feeling very discouraged, and I 'm afraid that I'm going to start making poor eating decisions. But maybe I will just go buy my own ground turkey sausage and make my own "crumbles". Trying to stay positive. :smile:

So here's a big F-U Jimmy Dean!!! :mad:

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    LMAO!! I know how you feel.. I just ground up a huge package of chicken thighs and cut off so much fat I almost had nothing!!! WTF is right...:explode:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    If they sell turkey sausage just slice the skins open and you have ground turkey... I usually find them at Dominick's, but have been noticing them more and more every where else... Jennie-O also has a roll of ground turkey you could use.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    There are a lot of turkey sausage options out there - especially JennyO. We use it for burgers, spaghetti, etc. :)
  • Nothing is better than freshly prepared foods . You're better off buying fresh LEAN turkey sausage and making it yourself. Add some DASH condiments, and i'm sure it will taste just as good with half of the fat and free - of the other stuff they add.

PS - To make it healthier, switch to eggwhites , fat-free mozzarella and WHOLE WHEAT wrap. ;)
  • awww lol... maybe you could find ground turkey and make your own crumbles??
  • Look in the frozen meat section. They should have it next to the ground turkey tubes and it will say turkey sausage. I use it all the time. I find it at Walmart the easiest
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Morningstar Farms makes really good soy sausages! http://www.morningstarfarms.com/
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Um yeah, Jenny O carries ground turkey. You can use the rest in a spaghetti.
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    I have no idea how these taste, but coming from a Taste of Home cookbook, I would guess that these are pretty good! I have been meaning to try these, but haven't had time. The cookbook is a diet cookbook...so these are low cal, low fat. I'm pretty sure you could make this into crumbles, and not patties.

Breakfast Sausage patties

2 pounds lean ground turkey
    1/12 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Crumble turkey into large bowl. Add salt, sage, pepper, ginger, and cayenne. Shape into sixteen 2 1/2 inch patties.
    In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4- 6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink.

2 patties equals 85 calories, 5g fat (1 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10g protein
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    I make my breakfast burritos with diced up Rose Brand Canadian Bacon. Two slices is only 30 calories and goes a long way!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Look in the frozen meat section. They should have it next to the ground turkey tubes and it will say turkey sausage. I use it all the time. I find it at Walmart the easiest
    Exactly. Honeysuckle White makes a ground turkey sausage. Just brown it like you would ground turkey and there you have your crumbles. Found at Walmart.
  • I have no idea how these taste, but coming from a Taste of Home cookbook, I would guess that these are pretty good! I have been meaning to try these, but haven't had time. The cookbook is a diet cookbook...so these are low cal, low fat. I'm pretty sure you could make this into crumbles, and not patties.

1/12 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper

Crumble turkey into large bowl. Add salt, sage, pepper, ginger, and cayenne. Shape into sixteen 2 1/2 inch patties.
    In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4- 6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink.

2 patties equals 85 calories, 5g fat (1 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10g protein

I just got back on the computer to look up the ingredients for the sausage taste. Thank you!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    I have no idea how these taste, but coming from a Taste of Home cookbook, I would guess that these are pretty good! I have been meaning to try these, but haven't had time. The cookbook is a diet cookbook...so these are low cal, low fat. I'm pretty sure you could make this into crumbles, and not patties.

1/12 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper

Thanks, I had cut sausage out of my breakfast choices because the ones I saw at the store were not acceptable to me. I had not thought of turkey sausage, I am going to try this out, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.