Fast Food that won't kill your diet.

Options
I have started looking for ways to still eat out and not kill my calorie count. So far I have found that Subway can be dangerous if you aren't careful, Applebee's under 550 cal menu is pretty awesome, and Taco Bell's fresco menu is actually very tasty.

I'm curious to see what everyone else has found out. Please share with me! I'm tired of feeling like I can't eat when my husband and I go out with friends!! Fast food doesn't always have to equal fat!

Replies

• cbear9264
    Options
    Subway for breakfast is the best choice I've found...the egg white on wheat english muffin no cheese with tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno is the best!
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    chicken fajaitas w/o the tortillas is only about 250 cal.. and YUMMY! most places have em! good luck! eat with a side salad if you want.
  • speednut
    Options
    Arby's Jr. Turkey ranch (no sauce) is 190 calories but high in sodium.
  • jlmelton0509
    jlmelton0509 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Subway for breakfast is the best choice I've found...the egg white on wheat english muffin no cheese with tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno is the best!

I'm usually way to busy to get breakfast in the mornings, so I usually just eat a bowl of oatmeal. I've also heard that Dunkin Donuts has a good breakfast with low calories.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    if I go to subway I stick to a 6inch oven roasted chicken on wheat with lettuce and sweet onion sauce, I get it toasted and it DELISHHH. i could eat it every day.

also, i havent tested this but as far as fast food - kids meals are probably the best bet. its closer to the right portion size - right?
  • paulreds
    paulreds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nando's: chicken, spicy rice and salad...
  • gokate1
    Options
    At Burger king you can get the
    6 piece chicken fries for 250 cals...as long as you go without ketchup! I like them
    Also at BK you can get apple fries which are just fresh apple slices cut in the shape of a french fry for 70 calories!

At McDonalds you can get the premium ceasar salad without croutons or chicken for 90 cals...not sure about dressing though!

At dairy queen the best blizzard calorie wise is the mini banana split which is 290 cals

At cold stones you can get the tart and tangy yogurt for 140 cals and add strawberries on top for 20 cals

Hope this helps!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Gotta watch those "low calorie" ads. The sodium and fat content are sometimes worse.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The spicy chicken salad at Wendy's is good. I got the half size with light ranch for under 300 calories and it's only $3.99. It comes with greens, cherry tomatoes, some shaved cheese and half a spicy chicken breast. I was full after eating that!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wendy's has been my saving grace when I have to eat out. 1/2 grilled chicken salad and/or chili are my top choices. The chili isn't even as horrible in sodium as you would imagine, but I forget exactly how much.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Panera and Chipotle are the closest things I get to fast food. And with both of those, I don't get what I used to.
    -wtk
  • deeremom9
    Options
    chicken fajaitas w/o the tortillas is only about 250 cal.. and YUMMY! most places have em! good luck! eat with a side salad if you want.
    That's a great tip! I love fajaitas. I'm glad I looked at this because I have the same question a lot.
    I usually log on before we go out, pull up the food tab and click on "database." You can then bring up anything that is in the database and look at the calories that you would be eating if you ordered that food. Hope that helps. :happy:
  • mandi_444
    Options
    Starbucks Egg White, Spinach, Feta wrap is the best for breakfast!
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Be careful at Applebee's. Even thought those dishes have no more than 550 cals, each dish has more then the recommended daily limit of sodium.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is what I found online:

Less Than 500 Calories at Dunkin' Donuts
    Ham, Egg & Cheese English Muffin Sandwich with English Breakfast Tea
    350 calories
    15 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,045 mg sodium

English muffins have a fraction of the carbohydrates of a bagel, and none of the trans fats of the donuts and croissants. The antioxidant-rich tea is also a great way to begin your day.

Less Than 500 Calories at Hardee's
    BBQ Chicken Sandwich with a small side of Cole Slaw
    490 calories
    16 g fat (3g saturated fat)
    1,340 mg sodium

Barbecue sauce and a reasonably-sized side dish keep this meal in the safe zone. Just opt for a water, rather than a Hardee's shake or malt, and you're good to go. And if you want to steer clear of the liquid disasters that can blow up your waistline without your knowing it, be sure to check out some of these other worst beverages in America.

Less Than 500 Calories at KFC
    3 Crispy Strips with Green Beans and 3" Corn on the Cob, and a Medium Diet Pepsi
    475 calories
    22.5 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,200 mg sodium

Order a side of green beans for a good source of vitamins K, A, and C—key players in maintaining strong bones and reducing cancer-causing free radicals. The corn on the cob will also help fill you up with minimal added calories. Just beware the dipping sauces—choosing BBQ over Ranch can save you over 100 calories.

Less Than 500 Calories at McDonald's
    Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich with a Side Salad with Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette, and a Medium Iced Tea
    480 calories
    13 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
    1,945 mg sodium

Counting calories doesn't mean your meal is healthy. For example: The Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich matches the Quarter Pounder without cheese when it comes to caloric content—but the chicken has no trans fats, while the burger does. Choose the sandwich and side salad for a good combination of protein and veggies.

Less Than 500 Calories at Pizza Hut
    Two Slices Thin ‘N Crispy Pizza (12") with Quartered Ham & Pineapple, and Medium Diet Coke
    360 calories
    12 g fat (5 g saturated fat)
    1,110 mg sodium

Regardless of which pizza chain you favor, ham and pineapple is one of the most trusted combinations you can order. Ham adds extra protein to balance out the crust's carbohydrate load, while pineapple adds low-cal sweetness and a dose of antioxidants.

Less Than 500 Calories at Taco Bell
    Two Fresco Soft Beef Tacos with Mexican Rice, and a bottle of water
    470 calories
    17 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,760 mg sodium

Order almost any menu item "fresco" style and the Bell boys will replace cheese and sauces with a chunky tomato salsa, cutting calories and fat by at least 25 percent. Beyond being nutritious, salsa is also cheap—check out our list of the other healthiest cheap foods you can eat. Finally, the Mexican rice adds a tasty little side (just 110 extra calories) that'll help fill you up without filling you out.

Less Than 500 Calories at Wendy's
    Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich with Mandarin Orange Cup and small Nestea Sweetened Iced Tea
    500 calories
    7 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat)
    983 mg sodium

This is the healthiest sandwich on the menu. Don't order your chicken spicy, though: That's their cue to fry, rather than grill, your bird, tacking on an extra 9.5 fat grams. Adding a small citrus fruit cup side is also a great, low-calorie way to add sweetness—and cold-fighting vitamin C—to your meal.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    McDONALD'S

1. Hamburger, Garden Salad Shaker and small one-percent milk

Total: 470 calories, 17 grams fat, 52 grams carbohydrate and 28 grams protein.

Keep in mind: If you want to add salad dressing, choose fat-free herb vinaigrette for only 35 additional calories.

2. Chicken McGrill and Garden Salad Shaker

Total: 440 calories, 13 grams fat, 49 grams carbohydrate and 33 grams protein.

Keep in mind: Remember to order grilled instead of fried chicken; you'll save 200 calories!

KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN

1. 3-piece Crispy Strips and Baked Beans

Total: 490 calories, 19 grams fat, 51 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fiber and 32 grams protein.

Keep in mind: The baked beans are a real winner -- high in fiber and low in fat.

2. Roast Chicken Breast and Corn on the Cob

Total: 500 calories, 11 grams fat, 37 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber and 42 grams protein.

Keep in mind: Whenever possible, order those veggies!

TACO BELL

1. Chicken Gordita Supreme and Mexican Rice

Total: 490 calories, 22 grams fat, 51 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 21 grams protein.

Keep in mind: Hot sauce adds zest, but not fat -- use freely!

2. Grilled Chicken Soft Taco and Pintos 'N Cheese

Total: 380 calories, 15 grams fat, 38 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fiber, 23 grams protein.

Keep in mind: The pinto beans add enough fiber for this meal to provide half your daily fiber needs!

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/10-fast-food-lunches-under-500-calories/4-a-142429#ixzz1Ev62FcJC

SUBWAY

1. 6" ham sandwich on a deli roll plus one oatmeal raisin cookie

Total: 423 calories, 11 grams fat, 66 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 15 grams protein.

Keep in mind: Dessert is possible if you choose wisely!

2. 6" Super Turkey Breast sandwich

Total: 333 calories, 4 grams fat, 47 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber and 26 grams protein.

Keep in mind: If you choose a sub with mustard instead of oil, and opt for veggies instead of cheese you will save 72 calories and 7 grams of fat!

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/10-fast-food-lunches-under-500-calories/4-a-142429#ixzz1Ev66uqTg
  • cwtiii
    cwtiii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look all the nutrition facts available. Had a bad experience at Applebees the other night with the "Under 550" menu. I had the WW Asiago Peppercorn Steak, 390 including the sides, 1520 sodium, could be worse I guess! Girlfriend had the WW Chipotle Lime Chicken, 490 including sides, but hear this!!!!! 4990 sodium!

Need to get more information before ordering.
  • shells9973
    Options
    I've fallen in love w/Jimmy John's UNwiches. Lettuce wrapped goodness. I order the #13 no mayo (243 cal) Then if I'm needing a salt fix, a bag of thinny chips (2 serv) is 260.

Wendy's ultimate grilled sandwich, no honey mustard, add reg. mustard; 260 cal, add either a plain baked potato for 203, (I add a laughing cow light wedge 35cal) or their side salad w/light basalmic dressing for 50cal.

Chick-fil-a's chargrilled chicken sand minus the top bun 185, their side salad w/light italian dressing is 100 cal.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My choice has been to ask my friends go to healthier places to eat. That has solved my problem. Of course this might not be possible where you live. In the Pacific Northwest there are LOTS of healthy, low cost alternatives to fast food. (Like Qdoba and Taco del Mar).
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Wendy's has been my saving grace when I have to eat out. 1/2 grilled chicken salad and/or chili are my top choices. The chili isn't even as horrible in sodium as you would imagine, but I forget exactly how much.

And Wendy's has a broccoli & cheddar baked potato that is WAY better (and real) than Lean Cuisine! :)