What triggers it???

NikkiJ17
NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm at home all day today, eating my normal meals & snacks, feeling fine. I start making supper and all of a sudden I want to binge!! I mean really binge and I can't figure out why. Any ideas???

Replies

• I do the same thing I do great all day at work for 8 hrs (and I have a DESK JOB) and then when I get home I just wanna eat everything I don't really know why since I eat great w/protein, small meals/snacks, etc I have no idea
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    It's probably a drop in blood sugar (especially if it's been a while since you've eaten). It's tough to make supper/dinner while you're starving and fighting off a binge, so take time to eat something. A bowl of carrot sticks probably isn't going to do it, so have a piece of toast with peanut butter or something like that.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    chew gum while cooking helps me and not want to eat so much- mint
  • When you're home, are you bored? Lonely? Anxious? Around other people who are binging?
  • K3LLYSU3
    K3LLYSU3 Posts: 56 Member
    Same thing here to EVERY night!! Perfect ALL day & as soon as I get home I look for "something". I cant stand it. Good luck to you & if you figure it out let me know!! Kelly
  • do you eat a snack in the afternoon, if I miss my snack in the pm I am eating while I cook for sure!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    maybe it's just a stimulus...behaviour modification. You associate your house with food and eating. That's what you've trained yourself to do. It's like quitting smoking, the hardest part is figuring out where you crave it the most. Do a baseline, be aware of all the emotions surrounding your eating. For example I do the best at work, it's very structured, I don't bring any more food than I'm suppose to, I get home, there's a fridge and cupboards full of snacks. The kitchen has become my stimulus to binge. Once you've noted all your major stimulus, than you can start working on different tactics to change them. Like the minute you get home, don't go to the kitchen, get your gym strip on and work out (just an example). Or if you're cooking, have a light snack sitting out while you cook so you don't pinch and pick at supper. Keep a stash of gum on the counter so when you go into the kitchen you force yourself to grab a piece of gum not a chocolate dipped granola bar. Make yourself some tea so you have that hand to mouth motion going. Just some suggestions, I didn't mean to sound like a psychologist lol...to me everything is in your head, and it's the challenge of figuring out how to change what you think.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    I agree with lilRicki. Makes a lot of sense. I try to "food proof" my home. I try to only have "allowable" snacks. When I really start to get to the point of a binge, I sometimes sign on to these message boards and get ideas from others.

When you are doing your diary, you sometimes have to check each and every item you are considering consuming. Add it in, check your totals, and make changes where you can. Figure out what the most important thing is -- do you want to stay close to your calories, not go over on sodium and/or sugars, not go over on fats, etc? I try to reach my protein goals every day, but it's not always easy.

The program takes a lot of concentration and focus. But you can do it! It really works, and the results are worth it!
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    maybe it's just a stimulus...behaviour modification. You associate your house with food and eating. That's what you've trained yourself to do. It's like quitting smoking, the hardest part is figuring out where you crave it the most. Do a baseline, be aware of all the emotions surrounding your eating. For example I do the best at work, it's very structured, I don't bring any more food than I'm suppose to, I get home, there's a fridge and cupboards full of snacks. The kitchen has become my stimulus to binge. Once you've noted all your major stimulus, than you can start working on different tactics to change them. Like the minute you get home, don't go to the kitchen, get your gym strip on and work out (just an example). Or if you're cooking, have a light snack sitting out while you cook so you don't pinch and pick at supper. Keep a stash of gum on the counter so when you go into the kitchen you force yourself to grab a piece of gum not a chocolate dipped granola bar. Make yourself some tea so you have that hand to mouth motion going. Just some suggestions, I didn't mean to sound like a psychologist lol...to me everything is in your head, and it's the challenge of figuring out how to change what you think.

Great post- really great ideas- helps me some too; NOW just to do it- ;)
  • I started learning about my metabolic type (I'm a protein type), and I discovered that a majority of my diet contained foods that made me crave and binge on foods that were bad for me. I've been slowly weening myself off the foods that are bad for my metabolism, and I've found that I'm not craving or binging like I used. You might want to look into this as well?
  • peterhern
    peterhern Posts: 23 Member
    Happens to me, too. All I can think of is to stop and see yourself going to bed that night. Are you going to feel good overall and also good that you overcame the urge to binge, or are you going to feel lousy for binging. Maybe you need to project seeing how you would feel waking the next morning.
    Blood sugar, boredom, stress, anything can trigger it, I suppose.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 713 Member

Great post- really great ideas- helps me some too; NOW just to do it- ;)

I couldn't agree more. I took this approach recently - I bring a healthy snack to work to eat right before I leave or in the car on the way home. Then instead of immediately making dinner (and snack-attacking like crazy) when I get home, instead I get my workout clothes on and workout. I find that helps to curb my appetite. One of the things that I do to allow this is doing most of my cooking for the week on Sunday, so that I don't have to be in the kitchen with food preparing meals all week, all I have to do it last minute put-togethers and re-heats. The more I can avoid my kitchen the less I am tempted!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    I wanna binge when I'm trying to figure something out - like eating will help me figure something out! When I started dieting, I quit cooking!! LOL
This discussion has been closed.