Do relationships make people fatter?

Options
charmingopal
charmingopal Posts: 49 Member
Well maybe that's not the PC way to say it, but I've noticed that I always eat worse when I'm with someone and don't go to the gym as often. Anyone have a similar experience or different? Any theories on this?

Thanks
Opal

PS I'm thinking about this because I'm about to make a cheesy, yummy wonderful Mexican meal for my bf that is chock full of deliciousness but also lots of calories that I would probably never make if I were going to eat dinner alone. Hahaha

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else..But, I gained all my weight when I met my husband and got comfortable..Same thing just made good meals and then tried to eat as much as him and made bad choices....
    We both put on 40+ pounds each.. We are now working hard to get it off 5 years later...:grumble: :laugh:
  • gazbo1986
    Options
    yeah because people get lazy.

i wouldn't accept that if a partner of mine started putting on weight when i married them.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i too gained my weight after marriage and having a kid.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    YEP! lol
  • charmingopal
    Options

i wouldn't accept that if a partner of mine started putting on weight when i married them.

haha i dont why but ur response is hilarious! i just see a string of sad chubby ex wives :O)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    YUP!!!
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options

Well, what would you do? Force them to lose weight or take off on them?
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I put my hand up for this... now I feel bad for my lovely partner looking back at the fat photos.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options

haha i dont why but ur response is hilarious! i just see a string of sad chubby ex wives :O)

LMAO:laugh:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    YES and there's no denying it
    IMHO a few reasons

Food brings people together - may be eating out at restaurants, Cooking together or what not, but food intake definately goes up when you're not single and in a relationship

Exersising takes a back seat ... especially in new relationships ... You just want to be with that person ...

My husband and I are active together (in summer) and have a personal trainer every spring - Still we've put on 40 lbs between us since our wedding in september .. haha go figure!
  • shells9973
    Options
    I'm gonna ditto WarmBlood. My husband and I have been together for 10yrs and both have gained a wee bit 'o weight. Just in the last month though, we've dedicated ourselves to get healthier for our children. He's also a type 2 diabetic, so it's even more important for him to loose the extra weight and get off some of his meds. So far, he's lost 13lbs in the last month, just by eating less and exercising more. (I'm so proud of him, too!)

I'm friends w/another couple where the wife is on WW and her husband eats what she does. So, in addition to going to the gym and working out, they both have been loosing a lot of weight.

I'd have to say that whatever habits your SO has can and will play a huge part of your habits as well. If you both make effort to stay active and make healthy eating decisions, there's no reason why you can't enjoy those benefits, rather than packing on the 'we're comfortable w/each other" pounds.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10 lbs when I started dating my most recent ex...probably partially because of all the wine-ing and dining we were doing, and the fact that I would skip exercising to hang out with him.
    But now that I'm single again, I've lost all of that weight and then some, and I've been pushing the men I'm currently dating to do more active things with me instead of the old played out dinner and a movie.
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    Definitely!

I thnk it's b/c while we're single, we're really wanting to look good to attract someone. Once we get them and get comfortable, we tend to let ourselves go a little (sometimes a lot) and before we know it, it's like WOAH, what happened?!

When I met my fiance, I weighed around 127-130 and topped off a year later weighing nearly 150 (i'm only 5'2''!). so here i am, working on losing this weight for my November wedding and I'm down to around 137'ish (haven't weighed in a week or two) and on my way to my 120-125 goal!
  • elischanicole13
    Options

Ouch... thats a burn.

--- Anyways... I totally agree... Story of my life. But I decided that in this relationship (after about a year) I was not doing this any longer. I need to pay more attention to my needs and make myself happy rather than my partner because if I just work to make them happy all the time it makes me miserable and I get depressed and fat... not exactly in that order but you just stop caring because I work so hard to make them happy (I'm a people pleaser)... so ya... I totally agree. But I am much happier now that I am focusing more on what I want. Its easier to be happy now that I'm working out and have something to focus on rather than just working and coming home going with my bf to get fast food and chilling at home. I have my horse which I love and I enjoy having my own time on my walks:)
  • gazbo1986
    Options

Dunno. I wouldn't be an *kitten* about it, but i sure as hell wouldn't stay quiet.

Maybe just throw out all the junk food around the house when she's not looking and act innocent when she can't find anything to snack on lol
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options

My ex told me that I put on too much weight and I should find someone who loves me all the time (from 5000 miles away mind you)

I left him that day ... he saw me in divorce court a year later 50 lbs lighter ...

Maybe he did me a favor?
  • charmingopal
    Options
    Definitely!

I thnk it's b/c while we're single, we're really wanting to look good to attract someone. Once we get them and get comfortable, we tend to let ourselves go a little (sometimes a lot) and before we know it, it's like WOAH, what happened?!

When I met my fiance, I weighed around 127-130 and topped off a year later weighing nearly 150 (i'm only 5'2''!). so here i am, working on losing this weight for my November wedding and I'm down to around 137'ish (haven't weighed in a week or two) and on my way to my 120-125 goal!

hmm true, i do like to be super hot when im single ... its a catch 22! haha good luck with ur wedding, you'll def get to your goals
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. relationships of all types. I come from a rather large family and was always slightly overweight growing up, then when I went off to college, I was only about 15-25 lbs heavier than I am now, then I got married and the weight kept gradually adding up until I did something about it.

Funny how besides this point in time, my fittest is when I was off on my own, lol. I blame myself. I used to be too easily persuaded by the food choices of others. Things are quite different now. My husband and I eat separate dinners when he doesn't like the healthy choice I made for dinner because he doesn't try to change me and I don't try to change him, lol. He'll make his own dinner or get something out.

We don't have children, so that makes it easier to eat separately when we want.
  • charmingopal
    Options

Dunno. I wouldn't be an *kitten* about it, but i sure as hell wouldn't stay quiet.

Maybe just throw out all the junk food around the house when she's not looking and act innocent when she can't find anything to snack on lol

maybe she'd chew on one of your 18 abs!! hahaha okay im just playing - thanks for being a good sport :O)
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    ummm nope i i lost 188 pounds with mines (every one say it was love i and too full to eat ) and im the slimiest i every been. my babe is very active and slim and love to move. he made me feel like a ex fat Cinderella. he supports me on my activity level and im looking out for his eating. it works. but nice to know that my babes loves me fat or slim. but im happier slim and it nice when he want to go to the beach i can go and not worry too much about how i look.