Half Marathon Nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Most of your questions are trial and error kinds of things that you have to work out.
    I have to eat something before running, but not too close before hand. Usually a cliff bar & an apple, or a pb&j & a yogurt, anything easily digestable.

I also can't attempt to really lose weight while training. I just run out of energy. At best I can keep a tiny deficit and lose very slowly, not that that is a problem.

Good luck
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while training and find that it's nearly impossible *not* to lose. I am trying to maintain now, but eating back all my cals in healthy, wholesome food is really hard if you are burning 1000+ calories on a long run day!

As for eating back all my exercise cals, I try to do so most days when I am doing my strength and shorter training runs, but on long run days I usually only manage to eat back about 50-70% of them. It's just way too much food otherwise. Then again, I am already eating 1500+ cals a day as my base, so an added 1000+ is a LOT of food!

Good luck :bigsmile:
  • cstibbe
    cstibbe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan! I think I will stick with the 1500 cal range during the week for the shorter runs and eat back at least half of them for the longer runs.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It makes sense to kind of do everything by trial and error. This is my first half marathon, and race for that matter, so I have been a little overwhelmed trying to find information! I want to train "perfectly" but I think I just need to take a deep breath and keep doing what I am doing.

The good news is I have about ten weeks to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. Happy running everybody and good luck to all of you training for your next race!