Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pop?

Hi am I am new to MFP and have been doing really well the last week. My biggest downfall is pop. I drink A LOT of Diet Pepsi. I know it has no calories but do you think it still withholds me from losing more weight? Any experience or thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• i've been drinking diet coke all my life and i think if anything, it's actually helped my weight loss :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Hi am I am new to MFP and have been doing really well the last week. My biggest downfall is pop. I drink A LOT of Diet Pepsi. I know it has no calories but do you think it still withholds me from losing more weight? Any experience or thoughts? Thanks.

yes. infact the sugar substitutes in Diet pop stimulate the appetite.
  • I drink 1 diet pop a day. Thats is one of my "treats." But the way I look at it is, anything that is processed or in a can - even if its 0 calories is not "natural" or good for you. Just enjoy in moderation!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Their have been a lot of studies on the artificial sweeteners in diet cola, and the ones I've seen all say that diet soda can actually promote weight gain, especially when compared to water.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    YES!! YES!! YES!!! GIVE IT UP!!!!
    Very personally, I gave up my Diet Pop (Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr Pepper 1-3 cans a day) by accident (ran out for about a week) and after the initial intense cravings were done the pounds started to come off! I had been at a very long plateau... no matter the exercise changes (running up to 3 km's 3 times a week) and the religious calorie counting I could not lose any significant weight.
    Giving it up made a huge difference for me and I challenge anyone drinking diet pop to try giving it up for a couple of weeks. It could make a big change, like it did for me!

p.s I had been stuck at about 130-135 pound for a long time, I thought this was my body's natural weight! I now enjoy a regular Pepsi for a treat... one every week or two... sometimes once a month.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I enjoy it too much to completely give up my diet soda. Plus, my husband works for Pepsi. :laugh:

I've cut down a LOT, and drink one a day, rather than about 4-5 a day. I use sugar free drink mixes in water, but using twice as much water per packet. So I'm still drinking "chemicals," but not as much.
  • toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    I actually highly disagree with all those "studies" because frankly it is on a person-by-person basis. Each person is different. If I drink diet pop, I LOSE weight or at least maintain whatever weight I am, I do *not* gain unless I drink regular pop. Diet pop does *not* stimulate my appetite at all. I do not crave sweets more because of the artificial sweeteners either.

Someone else might have problems with gaining weight or eating more if they have the diet pop and of course, no matter what a "medical professional" is going to tell you to give it up. The best thing to do is try not drinking as much or stopping for a while and seeing if your weight loss goes faster. Whether you lose more weight or not, you have your answer.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    You should try giving it up and see how it goes. I was a dedicated regular soda drinker before MFP, consuming 3-4 16oz bottles (or equivalent) a day. Loved my Mtn Dew. I only intended to cut back initially, but as the days wore on, I didn't feel the need to have a soda, and I didn't want to ruin my healthier diet. After 30 days I decided to have one again just to see if I really was missing it and wanted to drink it again.

Turns out it was so much sweeter than I remembered, and I decided that I really wasn't missing it much at all. Outside of those 8 oz I used as a test, I haven't consumed any sodas in 45+ days. It is possible it would be much tougher for you (or others) than it was for me, but you'll never know unless you give it a go.