Healthy freezer meal ideas?

Options
My Dad just went home from the hospital today after a total knee replacement. My step-mom is not in the best of health, so we are going to be taking meals into them for a while. I have been interested in learning more about freezer meals, and this seems the perfect time to learn so that I can take some things to them that they can just put in the oven or microwave and have all ready. It would also be a big help to me, as I don't have much energy for cooking most nights after taking care of my five small children all day. Both my Dad and step-mom are diabetic, so I want to take them healthy meals. They cannot tolerate anything spicy, either. I would love to see if any of you fabulous people out there have some good recipes, tips or ideas about freezer meals to help me out.

Thanks bunches!!

Replies

• gazbo1986
    Options
    i reguarly make a bunch of stir frys and put them in the freezer.

lots of chicken, beef, lamb mixed with vegetables and sauces are delicious and always heat up nicely.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible cook.. I do a lot of things that are convienient, but maybe not the greatest choices (lots of Lean Cuisine here!) Plus we eat out quite a lot. I'm interested to hear some ideas like this..... I'll be checking back!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i make brunswick stew and freeze it by the pint.
    you can get my recipe from my chef blog:
    daywithchefjenn.blogspot.com

just go thru the older post
    I also have a tomato basil garlic bisque
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When we were doing freezer meals for awhile, I found that shepard's pie and lasagna held up pretty well. Lean turkey is probably the best way to go with both of those.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Make lasagna using won ton wrappers in muffin tins, they are really good and would freeze up in easy to use servings. Stews freeze nicely and can be made out of just about any vegetable combination, some spices, and a meat or texturized vegetable protein. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be seasoned, roasted, and frozen. I really like Voila frozen meals with a bag of frozen veggies added, so simple, so quick, and not expensive.
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Most of my recipes are spicy... though I do freeze a lot of soup. Veggie soup, chili, chicken noodle, etc. I actually freeze mine in Ziploc freezer bags because you can lay them flat on top of each other and they take up so little space. I use the quart bags partially filled, not full. So everyone can choose their own. When I make a meal and there are leftovers, I make a plate of leftovers (on a paper plate) set in the freezer over night then vacuum seal. I set them in the freezer overnight so that once I vacumm seal them, the bag doesn't smush the meal when it sucks the air out. Again, portions are already made and everyone can grab whatever it is they are hungry for. I've had great success with this doing meatloaf & mashed potatoes, beef roast, lasagna, baked turkey or chicken, etc. Good luck!
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Yes, Lasagna freezes well. Just put it all together (you don't even have to cook the noodles first, just make sure there is plenty of sauce covering each noodle, and they will cook as you bake it) and cover and freeze. The disposable tins work well for this. Then they can just cook it up and refridgerate the leftovers for a few days for extra meals. Pretty much any soup freezes well. Pancakes & waffles freeze well. Then just pop them in the microwave (pancakes) or toaster waffles to reheat. You can make the healthier kind of batters for that.
  • foolismcgee
    Options
    when my sister in law had her first baby i made a few freezer meals for her and my brother. they especially liked the chop suey i made. i use lots of mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. you can use ground turkey or chicken and make it with whole wheat pasta.