recording calories on bad days

Options
Hey guys! I started a few weeks ago, and have been extremely diligent about logging everything. the only time I didnt log, was the super bowl, because it was just too difficult to remember everything and quantify it. Well I just got a friend at work to join, and I don't think she is completely into it yet. She had a "bad" day today at lunch, so she said she didnt want to log her food for the day. I think it is important to log no matter what, that way it makes you more aware of what you are eating and therefore, more accountable. What are your opinions on logging food for days that you know you have gone over?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sometimes I log them sometimes I don't. I've had some 4000-7000 calorie days I've logged and some I know were up there but it was too hard to log (maybe I drank too much and can't remember everything LOL.....or hit a buffet a bit too hard)

but I like to be accountable as often as I can.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Part of recovery (from an unhealthy lifestyle) is honesty and accountability.
  • italy1677
    Options
    I'd log it just to see how much you over did it, however your friend shouldn't let it get them down, we all have a few bumps on the trail :smile:
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to log every day, even if it was a "bad" day. Valuable lessons can be learned about eating habits, which categories were way over (carbs, fat, etc).
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    Part of recovery (from an unhealthy lifestyle) is honesty and accountability.

I agree. I log my food even on bad days and not logging it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I've eaten 6,000 calories in a day :embarassed: and i log that too lol. The only time i didn't log was during a road trip where i ate whole bunch of miscellaneous junk food making it impossible to quantify.
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I made a promise to myself to log everything. I've had bad days where all the totals are in red because I went over my plan, but that's the way it goes. I weigh in now once a week, too - and log it. Last time, I went up; this time I'm down lower than ever before. It is reassuring to me to see the results of good behavior and bad behavior, and my progress report is more accurate. I'm not on a straight path - I'm human, make mistakes, and sometimes even do the right thing. It's okay if I inch up and down a little on the path to my goal. It's all me; it's all good; it's all part of the process.

I know what you mean about superbowl, though. I couldn't figure out HOW to log it. I knew the big things, but there was a whole lot of munching going on... In general, though, I log good and bad.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    I log every day no matter what I eat. I'm afraid if I miss a day I may get out of my routine and start to slide down hill from the new habits I'm establishing.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to log them good or bad days. It helps me when I go back to look at progress (or lack thereof) and can spot a particular bad day with a low loss on weigh-in day.

I've had a couple bad days, they tend to be days where I eat meals out instead of prepared at home. So just pushes me more to prepare meals at home, easier on my calorie goals, easier on the budget and I get ticked at restaurants where things are made their way only. Tried to get a club sandwich with the mayo on the side, but nope, so they won't get my business in the future.

But for me I have to record every day, be it good, or bad, like yesterdays... what 600 calorie day? Was ill and couldn't keep anything down. Today is back on track.
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    In all honesty, I log SOME bad days, and others I just dont.
    I think its important to log on bad days tho. In a way it makes me feel better to quantify it all and see it "written on paper."
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I say log it!! No one on here is going to be judging because we are all on here for the same reason. :smile: Doesn't matter how much or how little we want to loose. Logging it will keep you accountable to yourself...........
    I made a dish for dinner last night that I didn't want to put all the work into putting it "in' so I just did the "quick add" and it at least still gives you something. Something is better than nothing, right?
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do them all, if not why would you even waste your time on MFP? other people looking at my food keeps me in line :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I always do my best to log bad days as well as good days. It keeps me in line. There are times that I don't know exactly how much I ate, but in that case I'll do a quick add calories and just estimate what I think I might have eaten.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I log everything, period. If I ever have a bad day that was my choice and I should be willing to accept my choice, not try to hide from it. Being honest with yourself is very important if you want to succeed.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do them all, if not why would you even waste your time on MFP? other people looking at my food keeps me in line :)

Exactly, that is one of the reasons my food log is public to everyone. Keeps me honest ;-)
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went over today by 650 calories. I am glad I logged because I learned a lesson. I went to a seminar during the day and ate lunch with a buddy. I then went on a date tonight and got a three course meal. I kind of learned that if I am going on a date I should go as low calorie as possible for lunch, because I don't want to look like a sissy on my date and get a salad.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I log it all--the good days and the bad--for a couple of reasons. Mainly, because I know myself, and if I start letting the bad days "not count" I'll have more and more bad days. Also, logging it all keeps me mentally aware of every bite that goes into my mouth so there's no mindless eating to trip me up. Logging the bad days also helps if I want to look back and see trends--to see how those bad days affect my progress, if at all. And, I know it's silly, but often, when I'm craving something I know I shouldn't eat, just telling myself that I'm going to have to log it will keep me from eating it.

However, if skipping a day where she was off track will help your friend to stick with this, then that's what she needs to do. Everybody's different.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I haven't really had any bad days thus far, but when one happens, I plan on logging it in my diary. Have to see exactly what the damage was, and remind myself what a bad day looks like in the diary.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i take a deep breath and log everything... i tend to do better when i know that my friends on here will tell me to be more aware and try to do better. I was hesitant at first but to make thechanges you really have to do it or else itis like you are closest eating...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I log every bite. I don't cheat, but I do have days where I allow myself to eat up to maintenance (4x since Jan 4th). Cheating and not logging could very well eliminate my hard earned deficit, why would I not be honest with myself?

Also, since I've been graphing my calorie deficits and weight loss, I'm simply unwilling to screw up what's working great.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I tend not to log a cheat day, mostly cause it defeats the purpose of a cheat day, but I've been really on my game since I joined.