How many calories do you burn strength training

Options
I was just wondering if anyone knows the approximate calories you burn doing strength training exercises? Like tonight I worked legs... is there any way to calculate the calories by time that I worked out?

Replies

• ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    good point...i was wondering that out the other day...
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    There is a "strength training" listed under cardio on the exercise database. Also, http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm has a huge list of everything you can think of doing and the calories it burns. If I can't find what I want here, I look there and then enter the info into the exercise database on MFP.
  • Shar6819
    Shar6819 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have burn between 330-500 calories for 45-55 min strength training.
  • Terry33
    Options
    Try this site: http://www.changingshape.com/resources/calculators/caloriesburnedcalculator.asp Just have to put in your weight, the length of time, and pick the exercise - when I checked for you, I chose Moderate Muscle Conditioning Exercise - it seems accurate.
  • james3302
    Options
    "Strength training" can be added as cardio on here. Do a search for it.
  • andreapbaker
    Options
    Yes, there is actually a catagory under the same place you would put cardio info and time worked out. I think you can type strength training into that area and you should pull it up from the database. There is all sorts of activities in that section from anything like walking to housework. This will let you put in info and tell you how many calories you get for doing that activity.
  • Marissa1006
    Options
    here is a neat site

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

then you can enter the calories on MFP!

or you can enter the time under circut training or calithenics - thats what I do!
  • cjvzheartsyou
    Options
    Cool thanks everyone!!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the best way to enter it right now!!!! lol
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ive stopped logging my strength training, because it doesnt really affect the numbers on MFP.

if it burns something that i dont know about ,then that is a bonus.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    bump. i was wondering the same thing!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Found it! If you go to enter an exercise, search under CARDIO, for strength training and it works it out! The other stuff I put under Calinethics :)
  • julianaLH
    Options
    I just looked up how many calories you typically burn per minute during weight training and it said between 8-10. Today I added under Cardio 30 Minutes Weight Training - 300 Calories Burned. I feel that's PREEETY Accurate.

This is the website I got that info from if you wanna have a looksy!

http://healthwellnesspost.com/how-many-calories-does-weight-lifting-burn.htm

Good Luck! :)
  • stevenkim95
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses to this question. I did add it nder strength training so I can track what I accomplish but also added it to cardio to get the calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I just looked up how many calories you typically burn per minute during weight training and it said between 8-10. Today I added under Cardio 30 Minutes Weight Training - 300 Calories Burned. I feel that's PREEETY Accurate.

This is the website I got that info from if you wanna have a looksy!

http://healthwellnesspost.com/how-many-calories-does-weight-lifting-burn.htm

Good Luck! :)
    This seems a little high. I've seen 6.5 to 7 but more importantly, this is for time actively engaged in training and does not count time resting between set. The key benefit to strength training is not nessesarily the burn during but the overall hormonal and metabolic effect that included the increase burn for hours afterward.
  • n_77
    n_77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey guys how are you? Ok so I am a medical student almost a resident doctor. I am very disciplined for exercising and thought i share with you. Cardiovascular exercising is excellent for burning fat when you do interval training where you run at a certain speed to reach a high heart rate and then bring it down after a pattern series of time and continue doing that. Cardio will burn fat but also burns muscle at the same time! Therefore strength training is a must. Strength training not only burns calories and fat but obviously builds that muscle which is actually decreased with age and cardio. Therefore for a healthy body you must do healthy diet cardio and strength training. As we age muscle layer under skin depletes and fat layer increases therefore you may not see an increase in size if legs but under it all it is more fat. Prevent this by balancing strength training cardio and diet. Also for strength training never work the same muscle group everyday. It is researched and proved that all of our muscles need 4 days of rest before working it out again it is more harm than good to work out same muscle before the 4 days. So being in a busy life of work I do 2 days a week strength training for 90mins where i workout every part of my body with appropriate weights and form! I end up doing 490 reps and then in the 4 days gap I do 30 mins interval training on treadmill and then do strength trainging on 4th day. This is doable on a busy lifestyle and is more effective then anythig else most people do. Also strength training has a massive afterburn of calories affect after the intense 500 reps you do. Make 3 exercises for each muscles group and do 3 sets 10 reps each. Hope this helps cheers
  • jilliekathleen
    Options
    Thank you n_77. I really learned a lot from your response!!:happy:
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey guys how are you? Ok so I am a medical student almost a resident doctor. I am very disciplined for exercising and thought i share with you. Cardiovascular exercising is excellent for burning fat when you do interval training where you run at a certain speed to reach a high heart rate and then bring it down after a pattern series of time and continue doing that. Cardio will burn fat but also burns muscle at the same time! Therefore strength training is a must. Strength training not only burns calories and fat but obviously builds that muscle which is actually decreased with age and cardio. Therefore for a healthy body you must do healthy diet cardio and strength training. As we age muscle layer under skin depletes and fat layer increases therefore you may not see an increase in size if legs but under it all it is more fat. Prevent this by balancing strength training cardio and diet. Also for strength training never work the same muscle group everyday. It is researched and proved that all of our muscles need 4 days of rest before working it out again it is more harm than good to work out same muscle before the 4 days. So being in a busy life of work I do 2 days a week strength training for 90mins where i workout every part of my body with appropriate weights and form! I end up doing 490 reps and then in the 4 days gap I do 30 mins interval training on treadmill and then do strength trainging on 4th day. This is doable on a busy lifestyle and is more effective then anythig else most people do. Also strength training has a massive afterburn of calories affect after the intense 500 reps you do. Make 3 exercises for each muscles group and do 3 sets 10 reps each. Hope this helps cheers

Is this for real?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Click Add Exercise in the Cardiovascular area and search "strength training". Enter your minutes to find the general calories. I do this as well as tracking my strength training exercises below.
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It really, really depends on what exercises you're doing, how long your rests between sets are and how hard you're working. I'm only 5'2 so my calorie burns aren't as high as someone of 5'6, but I've just picked up strength again and I usually only burn 80-120 calories lifting for about 30-40 minutes.