Vegetarian lunch ideas?

Geminieve24
Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Okay so besides a few mishaps (like having pepperoni on my no cheese pizza after a night of drinking), I have avoided all meat and dairy products. No cheese, dairy and no meat! I have found that I am getting enough protein in my diet but I have found that my lunches have been quite "boring". I work in cubicle city; and I want to prepare my lunches ahead of time. Having a salad and some almonds or hummus with whole wheat pita gets kind of old; anyone have any suggestions for some "as-close-to-vegan" lunch ideas

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    quinoa and beans of any kind is pretty good. Or lentils. I put curry powder on mine. Yum! You can have some carrots, broccoli or whatnot mixed in or on the side. :)

Check out the veganlunchbox.com if you haven't already. Endless options in the blog on there. :) The book is pretty neat. I checked it out from my local library. They had a long wait list but the blog has most of those and MORE.
  • gracemtn
    gracemtn Posts: 33 Member
    I eat tomatoes on flatbread with balasmic vinegar. Oatmeal. pasta steamers. fruit bowl.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Veggie and black bean rolled tacos!!!

Take some onions, diced Mexican squash, diced tomatoes and corn and sautee them with a little bit of oil. Just enough so it doesn't stick. Add some garlic salt a touch or cumin and some chili powder to taste. Add some cooked black beans and cok for a few more minutes or until the entire mixture is cooked through.

Warm up some corn tortillas. Spoon the mixture onto the tortillas, roll them up and place them open side down on a cookie sheet. Put them in the oven pre-heated to about 350 and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with some salsa and/or low-fat sour cream and some shredded lettuce. YUMMY!!!

I hope this helps you.
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    I like to make wraps, they're so delicious and filling!

Start by sautéeing some onions, add black beans and a dash of Taco seasoning. I seriously lack protein so I buy "Lightlife Smart Cutlets" they're completely vegan and most of their products taste AMAZING, I cut up 1 cutlet, prepare it on the skillet, and then add it to my tortilla with cheese, baby spinach, black olives, and then add the sautéed onions and beans.

Sometimes I throw it in my wok and lightly fry it with olive oil (adds a negligible amount of calories) just to make it a burrito.

I serve it with 1 tsb of light sour cream and some Cholula hot sauce.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    ooh yeah oatmeal makes a pretty filling lunch. I used to eat it for lunch all the time when I was nursing since it was supposed to help with supply.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Chickpea Sandwich Filling

Ingredients
    1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    salt and pepper to taste
    Directions
    1.Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise (to taste), lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.

This is pretty yummy if you like chickpeas and dill although you can alter seasoning to personal taste. It is very good in pitas.
  • Geminieve24
    Wow these are some great ideas! Kittytrix- your veggie and black bean taco sound yummy- I'll just cut out the sour cream since I do not consume any dairy products and nkswans I like your chickpea filling (minus mayo, no dairy for me). Yum guys I will take your suggestions!
  • Geminieve24
    Daisy89 I have found that if I eat enough beans, nuts and have my soy protein shake I get plenty of protein. I have a protein shake for breakfast with a banana and rice milk. I get this spirutein protein powder made by nature's way. You should check it out!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Leftovers. I brown some tofu in a pan with vegetables,oil, and garlic, and reduce with balsamic or tamari. I eat it hot w/ rice for dinner and it's awesome cold stuffed in a pita or on regular bread. Another idea is to bring in lentil or bean soup in a thermos. Legume/ grain salads are easy to bring too. If you're short on time, nut butter sandwich and fruit is a good standby.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    avocado, cucumber and tomato pita sandwich. Sweet and sour lentils, chick peas sauce on pasta, cuban black beans on rice (I have recipies for these 3 pm me if you want them)

hummus and falafel chips (or rice crackers)

taco salad made with vegan ground "beef" and vegan cheese.

shiritaki noodles with hoison sauce and a side of tofurky sausage

sushi - cucumber or avocado rolls
This discussion has been closed.