coping with Gym hair and having a relaxer (perm)

Options
Hey ladies I was just wondering some of the tricks you use to keep from sweating your perm out?

I am not sure what to do with this hair ugh! suggestions please

Replies

• Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Girl I really dont have the answer..I always pull it back and flat iron it when needed....It hasnt been too bad, though I havent wrapped it in a couple of days :-/
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I normally just leave my hair wrapped while working out, the roots get a little puffy, but nothing major.
  • eystelle
    Options
    I have been leaving it wrapped also but by the time I leave the gym it is soaked :/ so I'm considering cutting it!
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    probably not what you wanted to hear but I stopped getting relaxers. Between the sweat and then having to flat iron my hair every day, relaxers were too much. My hair is easy to straighten so I either blow-dry or flat iron it nearly every day-which isn't great but it only takes like 15-20 minutes and it's not so damaging since I no longer have a relaxer.

Everyone (black girls anyway) I know that works out regularly either has curly/natural hair or a weave. Sorry. Good luck though!
  • eystelle
    Options
    probably not what you wanted to hear but I stopped getting relaxers. Between the sweat and then having to flat iron my hair every day, relaxers were too much. My hair is easy to straighten so I either blow-dry or flat iron it nearly every day-which isn't great but it only takes like 15-20 minutes and it's not so damaging since I no longer have a relaxer.

Everyone (black girls anyway) I know that works out regularly either has curly/natural hair or a weave. Sorry. Good luck though!

yah I did the no perm thing for years, then had another child and had to cut that mess off! I had my hairdresser soak that stuff with some AFFIRM I think I am just going to go real short!
  • BellMel
    Options
    I love you with short hair!
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    this is why i currently hair braids in my hair. why dont you try box braids they last long and if you sweat no biggie they still look great after!!
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    good question... i get my hair done every 2 weeks & on the week when it's fresh, i try my best not to go too hard & sweat too much (i call it my "easy week")... & the next week i exercise @ 100%, flat iron when needed & get my hair done that saturday...

it's not a perfect solution... but it's the best way i can work out & still have my hair look good...
  • eystelle
    Options
    I love you with short hair!

Bell so does L he has requested that I never grow it out again! lol
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    definitely feeling the hair blues!!! i have - to quote my hairdresser - freakishly thick hair and it's long. by the time my workout is done my hair is good and wet so I let it air dry for a couple hours then I wrap it. i'm experimenting with styles that allow me to pin it up without using hairbands or heat more than once a week. we shall see.....
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I just saw this question posted the other day (the OP has relaxed hair)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/426395-african-american-hair-and-exercise