Can I start P90X with my fitness level?

Options
Hello everyone!

So I've heard the treat reviews about the whole P90X workouts. I've been very interested and I had adored intense workouts when I was working out and training for rugby. Key word there is 'was'. I have been pretty inactive for the past few years due to starting college and even got up to around 200lbs which is a decent bit for a 5'7" 20 year old female. Luckily my university is starting a rugby team and it's providing the modivation I want and need. Most of the other colleges in the area are doing P90X-like workouts for their conditioning and many of them are very fit. I would like to be able to do this as well except many of the people who I know that are doing or have done P90X scoff at the idea when I ask them about me trying to start it up due to my current appearance and fitness. Except I love intensity actually a lot of the times where I am working out I grow bored and that usually leads to me stopping all together.

So I know I might not be able to get through all the workouts in the beginning and I know that and accept that. I really don't like being told no that I can't do something but I figure it would be good to ask you guys. What do you guys think? Would P90X be worth a try or should I just cave in and accept what others say? I've also tried the 30 day challenge thing by Jillian Michaels - honestly I was very bored and found the workouts to not be pushing me enough at all. I'm seeking something more intense and that I can push myself for. But are there people that shouldn't be doing this?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i have never tried p90x but from what u wrote i think u should try it u sound like u really wanna do it. i heard it was really hard i wanted to try it but i just cant afford it right now, i have to fix a few things at my house so i dont have the extra money, but if u can play rugby i think u could handle a hard workout.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hell, I started P90X after almost 4 years of doing nothing. Just do as much as you can, take it easy the first week and listen to your body and you should be alright. The pace of P90X is very much set by you, push harder when you feel good and take longer breaks if you need to.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I did P90X when I was 33 years old. Instead of the 90 days, I did it for 180 days and then Insanity workout. Start slow. Take your time. Be patient. You are young so you'll do great.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Simply modify it to suit you. Which will require thinking about it. I am an all or nothing kind of girl and had a little trouble with the modification process, especially since I used to do the P90X fairly recently. Protect your joints from the added weight and go for it.
  • ratbone
    Options
    I started P90X at 47and finished it in about 120 days working at my own pace. I still use the DVD's sometimes for cardio and I use the lifting sequences as an outline for my strength training routine. It's as intense as you want it to be. I started out doing 2 days (1 strength training, 1 cardio) then taking a day off until I was ready to do the 6 day routine. You are young and athletic you will not have a problem. Joe