Why is the mfp sugar goal so low?

Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I have 30g sugar for a day, and usually end the day in multiples of it, even when I stay within calorie. So I looked up the GDA in the UK, and it's 90g for a 2000 calorie diet. Why is the mfp goal so different? Are GDAs different in the States or is mfp trying to turn us into complete angels?

Replies

• My halo slips off most days too :)
  • I wonder if they're including fruit sugars and things like that when considering the 30g goal. Maybe that should be 30g of refined sugars - that would be more than enough. It's my fruit that really gets me by the end of the day. I usually count what I've had as far as refined sugar and go by that as an accurate measurement.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Its supposed to be 30g of added sugar, so don't count sugar from fruit.
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    I'm not sure. But it is low, even the vegetables I have with my salad seem to take a lot of my sugar allowance up!

I guess MFP are trying to get us to eat less sugar as we are more likely to choose foods that keep us fuller for longer and in turn more liekly to feel hungry or eat more!!? Sugar is a carb and there are slow release carbs and carbs that spike your blood sugar level up (i.e. sugar!). The slow release carbs, being those carbs with a lower GI will have a more stabalising effect on your blood sugar level, so when you eat them they will keep you fuller for longer. Sugar however tends to spike your blood sugar level quickly and it will just as quickly plummet again, leaving you hungry/tired. So say toasted brwon bread or oats would keep you fuller than perhaps berries and a low fat yogurt. Low fat yogurts tend to be full of sugar as they replace the fat in low fat items, usually with sugar.

Just a guess! If you can't eat less sugar (i.e. you want to eat a fruit) try to balance the fruit out by eating some nuts/full fat natural yogurt at the same time which are both full of protein and will mean you are less likely to spike and feel hungry again :o)

Feathers x

p.s. I seem to never eat my 'fat' allowance hence I eat full fat yogurt to get this up and reduce sugar.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    The US Government recommends the % of calories as sugar the same as MFP. It's a percentage base, not a grams base. I'm going to go with the previous poster and say it's because in the UK they assume you eat fruit :)
  • Oishii
    The US Government recommends the % of calories as sugar the same as MFP. It's a percentage base, not a grams base. I'm going to go with the previous poster and say it's because in the UK they assume you eat fruit :)

That does make some sense. I wonder which government has the right idea, if either!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Don't forget that the USRDA is HEAVILY influenced by lobbyists, rather than nutritionists!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    My sugar goal is down to 24g!!! I thought it was impossible but then I was told not to count fruit sugars because they are natural - yes bad if you eat too much but rather sugar from an orange than sugar from a terrys chocolate orange! So now I dont count sugars from fruits and seem to be alot better :)
  • Oishii
    Don't forget that the USRDA is HEAVILY influenced by lobbyists, rather than nutritionists!

Which lobbyists want Americans to eat less sugar? Wouldn't it be in commercial interests to keep that sugar craving going?
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    I find I often go over my sugar allowance, but when I check over it it's usually pretty spot-on when I take off natural sugar from fruit and veg.

I like the goal being low though as it does make me aware of the products other people would think are 'fine', like those little porridge sachets!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    If you know that you are not eating refined sugars then track something different like fiber. You can change your settings to not include the sugar.

D
  • pookel
    pookel Posts: 5 Member
    You can manually adjust it. I changed mine to 80g because I knew I was never going to hit 40g or whatever it was they were recommending for me. I cut down my Coke consumption a LOT, but I'm not willing to give up the possibility of ever drinking it at all!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I changed my tracked goals away from sugar. I was always going over, but I was successful in keeping my refined/added sugar down enough that I wasn't as worried about tracking it any more.
This discussion has been closed.