mfp overestimates exercise calories?

Options
Hi all
I was wondering if any of you have noticed if mfp overestimates calories burned while exercising? I've started eating my exercise calorie allowance but I've put on weight while doing so. Is it better not to eat your calories back? Help please :(

Replies

• Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    I've been doing the same and eventhough I haven't gained...I haven't lost. I read here the other day...that you shouldn't eat ALL of your exercise calories back. I've been eating some of them...not all. Sorry...that's all I can tell you...hope it helps somewhat.

Cheers
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i use a hrm and the cals burned are similar maybe out by 2 or 4 cals, i think some peoples bodys are different some have been successful eating them all back ,some only half and some none at all.... i was the same as you i didnt gain but didnt lose either soon as i went down to eatting only a few of my exercise cals i lost weight ! Its all trial and error i guess x
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    yep hrm is the only way to go if you are going to eat back cals. the cals burned on here isn't determined by your personal heart rate or size so it will be a general average
    I have noticed that they low ball my burn. so either low ball the cals burned yourself so you don't over eat...or get a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate read.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I do not eat any of my exercise cals unless I go over 500, then I will only eat about 125 of them....thats 25%....My trainer from the gym told me that someone is trying to lose weight does not need to eat them all...People that have lost their weight and want to maintain their weight should eat them all...Its really something that you have to play with and see how you lose....Try just eating 25% for a week and see if that makes a difference.....
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi! I always eat the recommended minimum calorie allowance but never even try to eat my exercise calories - some days I do over 2000, what am I supposed to do - eat three big macs? Never dip below 1200, do some exercise every day if you can, even a short walk, and the calories will drop. There is a lot of BS on here about eating all your exercise calories - maybe it works for some lucky individuals, but not me. I feel fine, I am not in 'starvation mode' and I have lost 18lbs in 6 weeks so far... Yesterday I had a sausage and bacon sandwich and it tasted fantastic - but it remained part of my daily allowance and I had poached fish and salad for tea later - do the work, eat what you like (within reason) and you will lose weight...
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weight is only one measure of success. Goals should be towards living a healthier lifestyle. You may not be losing weight, but may be losing inches. Perhaps you're gaining muscle mass and losing fat. Lean muscle weighs much more than fat. Regarding whether or not you should eat your exercise calories back, you should do what feels right for you. You know your body better than anyone else.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Weight is only one measure of success. Goals should be towards living a healthier lifestyle. You may not be losing weight, but may be losing inches. Perhaps you're gaining muscle mass and losing fat. Lean muscle weighs much more than fat. Regarding whether or not you should eat your exercise calories back, you should do what feels right for you. You know your body better than anyone else.
    Surely a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle :)
  • YOGAONE
    Options
    In answer to the original question, does MFP overestimate exercise calories. I have been working my way from 3 miles per hour up to 6 mph for a walk/run distance of 4 miles. Along the way I have checked their burn calories against several other sites and my heart monitor. My findings are that MFP's numbers are accurate. I think many times the inaccuracy is a result of the user over estimating their effort level. For example: If I go to my indoor track and walk for an hour.Walking at 3 mph I burn 311 calories while run/walking at 5 mph I burn 755 calories. If I am actually walking at 4 mph (472 calories), and put in 5 mph, and do this 5 days, I end up with 1/2 a pound worth of exercise calories entered in error. My rule is overestimate the food calories, and underestimate the exercise.
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Surely a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle :)

Let me rephrase. In terms of mass a pound of fat is much larger than a pound of lean muscle. Thanks. (c: