Not eating enough

Options
aflane
aflane Posts: 625 Member
I need suggestions please. I'm on 1600 cals per day. I do my 40-60 mins of cardio at least 5 days a week, and do weight training 3-4 days a week (500 cal burn on cardio only days, 900'ish on weight training days). Lately (past week or two), I haven't come anywhere close to my 1600 cal requirement -- for example, yesterday, only took in about 1050 cals. The foods that I eat are healthy, and I even allow myself small treats.

Please note, I feel like I'm eating tons (lots of veggies -- which I love). I'm generally not hungry, but eat my meals on schedule -- hungry or not. I know I SHOULD be eating 5 small meals a day, instead of just the 3 with an occasional snack, but my lifestyle won't accomodate taking the time out for so many meals.

Any suggestions on what I should eat to up my caloric intake? When I'm home, I head for the jar of peanut butter, but I travel a lot for work, so taking a jar with me doesn't really work.

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Add some milk, peanut butter, and fruit. Those are healthy ways to increase your calories.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    almonds and cheese! and real cheese...not the lowfat kind. good luck!
  • cbbradshaw
    Options
    You could also add a Clif or Luna bars. They run around 200 calories and you can stash some in your purse for a fast snack/meal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try adding nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as a snack. Have nut butter with fruit, add olive oil to soups and sauces. Add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Eat higher fat versions of food you are already eating (milk, cheese, yogurt, salad dressing etc.) Have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water.

You don't have to eat more food to ingest more calories, just make different choices.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I would increase my portions of meat at meal time. That would really help increase your calories. If you are feeling to full, then you may need to reduce your veggie eating a little.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would increase my portions of meat at meal time. That would really help increase your calories. If you are feeling to full, then you may need to reduce your veggie eating a little.

I would like to disagree with this, more veggies are always better. Just add olive oil or a natural salad dressing to them to add more calories
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try adding nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as a snack. Have nut butter with fruit, add olive oil to soups and sauces. Add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Eat higher fat versions of food you are already eating (milk, cheese, yogurt, salad dressing etc.) Have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water.

You don't have to eat more food to ingest more calories, just make different choices.

Exactly this.