ankle and knee pain

Options
I can't find where someone said what to get, so I have to ask again....Been running almost 5 to 6 days a week and I used to never run. Have yet to invest in a great pair of shoes, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. Anyways, my ankles and knees have been feeling soar. What's something I can do to help that? Thanks all!

Replies

• dreamwellali
    Options
    Yes, definitely get new shoes, that will help a lot. I also wrap my knees before any sort of non water-based exercise - I had my ACL and MCL repaired several years ago after a skiing accident so I'm extra cautious with my knees these days. I use those thicker self-stick ACE bandages and they give me just enough support.

Also, the more you do it, the more your body will get used to it, and the more weight you lose, the less pressure will be on those joints. Icing afterwards and ibuprofin beforehand will also help. But if it continues after you get new supportive shoes, be sure to get checked out. The last thing you want is to add to any sort of injury you might have.

Good for you for becoming a runner!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You are right in thinking that some of it will be down to your trainers. You need to get your gait analysed - most good sports shops will have the facility to do this. Then you will know what type of gait you have and therefore what type of running shoe / trainer you need. Also as you are new to running you need to gradually increase distance. Finally make sure you warm up properly befroe your run and thoroughly stretch out afterwards.
    Happy running!!
    A
    x
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    I'm so glad i'm not the only one! I've had to give up running for a few days to see if it helps.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    well...the obvious answer is to either cut back on the number of days or length of your run until you build up the muscles supporting your joints. also, make getting good running shoes a priority.
    Good luck to you!
  • emmag25
    Options
    Hi,

Agree with both the previous replies, if you intend to continue running every day and increasing your distance, its definitely worth getting your gait analysed, something I was never aware of before I started is that your always advised to have trainers 1.5 - 2 sizes bigger than your regular shoe size!

In the meantime you might find the following websites handy:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/choosing-a-shoe-the-very-basics/481.html

http://www.mapmyrun.com

Good luck
    Emma
  • jabbogurl
    Options
    thanks everyone for the thoughts. I remember someone mentioned some kind of vitamin or something also that helps. not sure......
  • emmag25
    Options
    Glucosamine and cod liver oil are known to help with the general health of joints, but they won't help with the pain I don't think.