Splenda? Bad for you? NO calorie? Confused.

Options
Just wondering how you guys feel about splenda?

I read Skinny *****, it says NO splenda EVER! Quantum Wellness says to not have it either.

Is it really no calories? Im not sure if I should continue to put it in my coffee...

HELP!
What do you guys think about it?

Replies

• megpiemac12
    Options
    I'm curious to see what people say as well. I usually only have 1 packet a day with my coffee. I still feel it's better than real sugar calorie wise, but wonder if there are other bad things. I also will sometimes use pure via which is said to be an all natural sugar substitute.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have used it and still use it - but I am weeing myself off of it. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. I'm trying
    Agave Nectar syrup - which is all natural and apparently doesn't spike your blood sugar nearly as much as sugar. I think another alternative is Stevia - which I believe is also natural.

It's too bad since I love how splenda tastes in my morning coffee. But I just can't help but think 0 calories, man-made and that sweet - it just can't be that great for consumption.
  • jamie_bird
    Options
    I'm not a fan of splenda but I'm bias because I'm actually allergic to it and aspartame. I don't think fake sugars are particularly good for you because they're just chemicals. I'd suggest looking at natural alternatives to sugar such as agave nectar or honey, they are low calorie but not no calorie.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i use it in my coffee. i'm not concerned
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I have no idea which research reports about the safety of artificial sweetners to believe because they all seem to have conflicting results. BUT, there have been numerous studies that have shown that people who drink sweetened drinks have a higher tendency to crave sweet foods. Now, from personal experience, I can tell you this: I quit drinking soft drinks three years ago, and quit drinking any sweetened beverages about two years ago. I used to have a horrible sweet tooth, and now I hardly ever crave sweets. Fruits and veggies that used to taste bitter to me now taste sweet. And I noticed those things before I read the research report about the correlation between sweetened beverages (including those sweetened with artificial sweetners) and sweet-food cravings, so maybe there is some merit there.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    The concern with Spenda is the chemicals... If you want a low calorie, all natural sweetener, try Sun Crystals. :smile:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    On The Doctors, it says that splenda is the safest sweetener, but it can end up leading to weight gain. Not that splenda itself can cause weight gain, but increases cravings for other carbs and sweet which will lead to weight gain.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I was also told that it can cause some problems in some individuals because your body thinks its getting sugar, so it releases insulin, but its not actually getting sugar, so it can throw things out of whack.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Honey actually is not that low of calorie considering it takes more to get the same sweetness level. I use liquid Splenda still, but I have cut back my usage to 1/2 what I used to use in my tea. I have seen studies both ways on Splenda, so I guess I will wait for more research unless my weight loss stops. At least with liquid Splenda I don't eat all the fillers and crap they have in the packets. You can get it from www.sweetzfree.com if your interested. I have been using it for years now.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I have read about Splenda and how is bad for you. Who knows how true it is. I use Truvia on occasion.
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only use Splenda when Truvia or Stevia is not readily available to me. I also use Blue Agave syrup for tea.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Not that splenda itself can cause weight gain, but increases cravings for other carbs and sweet which will lead to weight gain.

^ Yeah that.

Any sweetener will fool the body into releasing insulin, which will lead to cravings. Even no calorie sweeteners.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Honey is actually much sweeter than table sugar so you use less to get the same sweetness. And buying raw strained or unfiltered honey is best. Sugar has no nutrients - they have been removed. Honey still has nutrients. But heating it will kill the nutrients.

When you use honey instead of sugar in recipes you have to use less.

Stevia extract/powder is has a glycemic index of 0. It will not spike your bloodsugar. Even fruit will spike it.

A lot of your artifical sweeteners will lose their sweetness when added to hot things.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I know that the complaint about Splenda is the fact that it's all chemical and can increase cravings for other sweets/carbs.

That being said, I use it in my morning coffee. And really, any diet soda or low fat yogurt (and I'm sure a thousand other things) are sweetened with Aspartame or Splenda.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    when I think of chemicals...more and more I think I better get off of it. I suspect humans weren't ever really supposed to be consuming chemicals. damn....too bad. I do like it in coffee!

Agave Nectar will have to suffice.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I quit using Splenda and Crystal Light this past Sunday but I've also quit adding ALL sugars to my foods and shakes to rid myself of the taste for sweets.
    Fruit will be my only sugar treat.
    So far, so good. My taste buds are already adjusting and I'm tasting the natural sweetness in the foods I'm eating.

Stevia is awful tasting to me. Agave nectar is highly processed.

Honey and pure maple syrup in very limited amounts would be my choice if I were to eat any sugars.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Splenda makes me feel high/dizzy. And I usually have no sensitivity to foods. I drink Diet Coke like it's going out of style but if I drink something with Splenda in it I will "feel" it every time. I use Truvia at home for my tea and coffee.
    It scares me to think that doctors reccommend Splenda to pregnant women who develop gestational diabetes. I hope that has changed.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use it every day and I am not worried at all about it
  • lightthing
    Options
    I have read conflicting reports on Splenda. I limit fake sugar use and if I need a sweetner in coffee or tea I will use honey, or
    Agave. A nurse told me the Agave reacts better with blood sugars. It looks and tastes exactly like honey. Stevia is also said
    to be an alternative as a healthy sweetner. I try not to add anything, and if some ice cream or jello has Splenda in it , I will eat that
    as it is less calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I quit using Splenda and Crystal Light this past Sunday but I've also quit adding ALL sugars to my foods and shakes to rid myself of the taste for sweets.
    Fruit will be my only sugar treat.
    So far, so good. My taste buds are already adjusting and I'm tasting the natural sweetness in the foods I'm eating.

Nice!!!!

I quit all sugars too. I know I feel much better, and I don't crave carbs any more. I allow myself two whole fruits a day.

Good for you!! If more people would try this, they would be uber-surprised how it changes things.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou: