Athletic Shoe question

Options
Didn't know exactly where to post this question but....

In the middle of my cardio workout my right sneaker lost the treading (peeled completely off) and they were my only workout shoes. It has been a while since I bought shoes and I figured I should ask ya'll what you recommend. I do a lot of kickboxing style workouts as well as jogging. So what type of shoe should I get? I can really only afford to get one pair right now so I also would love store recommendations too! thanks in advance!

Replies

• sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing and running as well and I got the Nike lunar glides. They are super light and great for balance, running, kickboxing, and they are really comfortable. I got them online but you can get them at any shoe store really (foot locker, lady foot locker, foot action, etc.)

hope that helps a little
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ****'s sporting goods is having a pretty good sale this week! (probably ends tomorrow) I got a new pair of Asics a few days ago - they were on sale and I had a $15 coupon, so I paid $80 total.
  • CarolynnW
    CarolynnW Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I purchased my Saucony Excursion TR5 at Academy and love them. I do ALOT of running on the treadmill as well as some exercises with alot of kicking. You might want to consider them, I paid right at $50.00.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Both my wife and I bought some decent running shoes from Costco for our daily treadmill walk/run. She then hit one of her mini goals and went to an store that specializes in running. They examined her gait and she tried many different pairs. She ended up getting a pair of Saucony Progrid Ride 3 and inserts. Cost $125 but she so thinks they are worth it. Someday i will be getting a good pair of running shoes.
  • enmaku
    enmaku Posts: 24
    Options
    I got a pair of Vibram Five Finger KSO's from my local REI. I must admit they're not for everyone and do take some getting used to, but it's probably worth at least trying a pair on.

(They're the weird running shoes that look like toe socks)
  • agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    asics or new balance would be my recommendation
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I will wear Aasics to my deathbed! They seem to be the best all around for me, as I have wide feet that are wide the whole length of my foot...my Uncle call's them little Freddy Flinstones lol......I even wear men's Aasics to help. But they are a great, lightweight and versatile shoe. Wear them to walk, run, and exercise on the elliptical.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Running and kickboxing are two activities are not similar at all. Have you ever tried to play full court basketball with a pair of running shoes...you're more prone to ankle rolls and blisters on the feet because the ankle / lateral support just isn't there. Having the right shoe does make a difference.

In your situation, I'd recommend a pair of shoes that will meet the needs of the activity you are doing the most of. You'll reduce your chances of an injury. If it's running, I'd suggest going into a running specialty store and actually being fit for a pair of shoes. Technology has come quite a long way in the past 10 years and having a pair of running shoes that best match to your arches and running style will give more effective and comfortable runs.

Crosstrainers, for kickboxing? I'd just go to roadrunnersports or zappos and look in their crosstraining section for shoes with good reviews and then go try them on locally somewhere. Good shoes don't always have to cost alot of money either.
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Saucony Grid Ignition 3s, and I love them. Back when I did cross country I had Saucony Grid Shadows, and loved those as well.

Saucony's "Grid _____" series is great. Nice and lightweight, breathable, just about perfect in my opinion!
  • zeman11
    zeman11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also wear Asics running shoes- I have an extremely wide foot and they are one of the only brands that have a shoe that fits me. I do recommend going to a running store and having your gait checked...even if you don't buy the shoes there. My shoes were a little expensive, but worth every penny. I am a beginning runner so I don't run that much on the treadmill, but these shoes almost make it feel as if I am running on a cloud!!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Do you run a lot? I do kickboxing, train with a personal trainer and run (I like to mix it up). If you run a lot then I would recommend going to a running store that will actually watch you run and they will recommend the correct pair of shoes. I have always had a hard time finding shoes that work with my feet and I have not had any problems with the ones my store recommended (it is local to Atlanta so sorry I can't recommend a store). I don't wear shoes when kickboxing as most people don't on the mats. I go to a boxing gym. Hope this helps.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I just started running again and it is still more of a super quick walk at this point. I'm not worried so much about the running yet because I don't have access to a treadmill and there is still a ton of snow on the ground (just got 7inches this morning) so I'm doing more the kickboxing stuff. I think I'm going to get something more for that right now and next month get me a good pair of running shoes.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions!