Learning to run

Options
Hi there all! I do most of my exercises on the elliptical, but recently have just had the itch to learn how to run. I have never run for exercise and would like to make it a full time exercise. what advice, for all those runners out there, can you give me to help get me started....including form, training, etc.

**I just bought a brand new pair of Aasics running shoes so I'm golden on getting a good pair of running shoes, but does anybody run with inserts in too? i am a little flat footed and tend to pronate outwards.

thanks for the advice!

Replies

• aimeemaryrose
    Options
    Hello, I too have only just recently started to run. Advice would be to start slowly and lap time yourself - do 1 minute of running, 3 minutes of walking, and then slowly build it up - I can run for about 20 minutes now and am aiming to do a 5k by the summer at least. Good luck!
  • richiedbond
    Options
    The couch to 5K is awesome. There is an app for that... or this website. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am right now on week 4 and it has really helped me

Good luck
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Couch to 5k if you haven't tried running before. It's a (3 day a week) 9 week program to get you running a 5K. I just finished Week8 Day2-- running 2.75 miles without walking. I could have gone more. It really eases you into it, and I absolutely love it. Granted, I have been doing it on a treadmill in the snowy northeast, but in spring I feel like running outside will be much easier than it would have been had I never done the program. The link is below.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i joined the running room "learn to run" not sure if you have running room in the states.... will do my first 5 k on april 10th,!!!

the support and leaders are excellent and its more fun to run with the group.... i do run on my own when the canadian winter says i cant get to the group!!!

love to run,, its free ing somehow......:bigsmile:
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oops...Richie beat me to it. Sorry, Richie!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have just started running a little on my treadmill. It kind of hurts one knee so I go easily.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K. I do run with superfeet inserts, but to be honest, I don't know how much they really help. Welcome, Runner!