Lifting Routine??

Options
So my boyfriend and I have mostly been running and doing some lifting at home. We just rejoined the gym and are kinda lost in the weight room. Does anyone have a weight training routine they follow that could give us some ideas??

This question is mostly for my boyfriend since I will probably be doing the weight lifting class our gym has more than him. He's looking for a certain routine that will workout out upper body one day, lower body the next and so forth.

Thanks!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Week 1

Day 1: Upper Body: Chest, Shoulders, Back, Triceps, Biceps
    Day 2: Cardio
    Day 3: Lower Body: Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs
    Day 4: Cardio
    Day 5: Upper Body again
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: rest

Week 2
    Same as Week 1, but swap the lower body with upper body. So Lower body on Days 1 and 5, Upper body on day 3.

Repeat until ripped :)
  • mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    www.musclesandstrength.com it has all sorts of workouts depending on what you want to do, lose weight, tone, bulk anything. breaks it down nice and even has videos of the exercise in case you arent familiar with them
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like a good routine.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Week 1

Week 2
    Same as Week 1, but swap the lower body with upper body. So Lower body on Days 1 and 5, Upper body on day 3.

I have a similar routine, but try to add some cardio, about 10 minutes, on the non-cardio, or lifting days. I end my workout with it since my heartrate is already up. It helps with a "sustain" for the duration.

Another option I use is going with high weight/low reps for about 4 weeks, then break to low weight/high reps for about 2-4 weeks. Breaks up the monotony, helps with strength and toning during equal intervals.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have a similar routine, but try to add some cardio, about 10 minutes, on the non-cardio, or lifting days. I end my workout with it since my heartrate is already up. It helps with a "sustain" for the duration.

Another option I use is going with high weight/low reps for about 4 weeks, then break to low weight/high reps for about 2-4 weeks. Breaks up the monotony, helps with strength and toning during equal intervals.

Cool. I also sometimes follow up upper body days with some extra cardio, and more often than not do 40-60 minutes extra cardio on the rest day. But I'm trying to maximize fat burn at the moment. Once that's done, I will scale back to just the 3 cardio sessions.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Just to add some specific exercises..do squats, bench, rows, and deadlifts. I think those are core exercises that should be a regular part of any routine. Google compound exercises when you get a chance. There should be a wealth of info on them.
  • jybdrummer
    jybdrummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing "SUPERSETS". This is where you work opposing muscles with each exercise. This allows you to move quickly from one exercise to the other without rest. I do these right after I get off the treadmill. That way it works as an extension of my cardio routine AND it builds muscle tone. When I say "opposing muscles", think PUSH then PULL. You do a "PUSHING" exercise followed by a "PULLING" exercise. I used resistance bands but you can also use dumbells or weight machines.

Here is my routine. I move quickly to each exercise. i don't rest in between.
    Superset one - Three sets of 10 each(unless otherwise indicated)
    1. Sit ups, 16 reps
    2. Push ups 15 reps
    3. Lat pull - with resistance bands
    4. Bicep curl - with resistance bands
    5. Tricep extension - with resistance bands

Superset two - three sets each.
    1. Incline sit ups
    2. decline pushups
    3. upright row
    4. reverse bicep curl
    5. Dips - off a bench or chair

Superset three - three sets each
    1. bicycles (40 reps)
    2. bench press
    3. Lat pull downs
    4. bicep curls
    5. Tricep extensions - with dumbells, lying down on the floor or bench.

I use a weight that is comfortable. This allows me to move quickly to each exercise with resting. It keeps your heart rate up and helps build muscle.

Enjoy!
  • gibbsgirl
    gibbsgirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!

jybdrummer: Do you do all three supersets back to back? and do you do any lower body?
  • Baroque_Ja
    Baroque_Ja Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you want something simple and beginner based, try the stronglifts.com 5x5 program. It's basically 30 of lifting 3 times a week. You will NOT bulk up if you are woman, so don't worry about that, and it focuses on fundamental good form exercises with the squat as the major focus.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Week 1

Week 2

This but I usually will add in cardio in on lifting days as well. A good warm up of 10-15 minutes of cardio and then at least a 1/2 hour after lifting especially on leg work out days to help with acid build up since I hate sore legs and bum.

I also separate my upper body into pushes and pulls. One day - Chest & tri's, next day back & bi's. Alternating Abs every 3rd workout. So yeah, maybe not the above but close enough.
  • jybdrummer
    jybdrummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do all three back to back. No resting between sets. I don't do lower body. I do 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical before doing the supersets. That works my lower body well enough. My total workout time, treadmill + supersets = 60 minutes.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.